BC Boards

Spay Problem -Stitched Popping out

Zoye's Mom

I had Zoye spayed 2 months ago. She has periodically gotton bumps in the cut area that will swell up. I took her back to the vet and was told that they were stitches that had not disolved. This was several weeks ago. This morning she actually has a piece of the stitch sticking out (it feels like a needle/wire sticking out when you touch it). It does not seem to be bothering her unless you touch her stomach. I was going to take her to the park to play today, should I? Do I need to take her to the vet right away? Will it disolve? Thanks for any input.

Zoye's Mom

Beth

Dissolving stitches shouldn't feel like metal or migrate from the abdominal cavity to the dermal area. Just my uneducated opinion but I've had a bit of experience with spays through doing many rescues. Usually the degradable sutures are used internally and the metal staples (if used instead of flexible material) are used externally and are removed about ten days afterwards (no more than a couple of weeks).

Laura is away at a flyball tournament so I'll chime in here. Her dog was spayed and years later it turned out they had used a staple to tie her off, which calcified and eventually apparently triggered an onset of bone cancer (I could be wrong about the exact details but I think that's right).

Anyway, the reason I mention this now instead of waiting until Laura can talk to you directly - I'd get to another vet and get a second opinion about what is happening - maybe some x-rays of the area might be in order.

Good luck.

Thanks Rebecca for you help. I took a closer look and it actually looks like clear fishing line. The vet took the external stiches (not staples or tape) out 2 weeks after. This is the second stitch from the inside to work its way through to the outside. The vet said that it could take up to 3 months for them to dissolve. I had another dog spayed and never had this problem. Whatever it is, it is very sharp/pointy to have come through the skin. She acts fine, wants to play ball & frisbee. I'll skip doing that tonight until I get her to a vet tomorrow. Thanks so much for your advice.

Zoye's Mom

Beth

I had something similar happen to me after I had surgery to repair a broken ankle. When the stitches worked their way to the surface, I grabbed the end with a pair of tweezers and out they came. There were two and they looked similar to dental floss. Might want to check with your vet first but I'm still in one piece.