BC Boards

Reverse Sneezing

Cheri McDonald

The last few nights (3 in a row) Rob has woken us up sounding like he was having an asthma attack. He sleeps on the floor next to our bed and it scared the daylights out of me. The one last night lasted the longest, about two minutes I called the vet today and she said it sounded like reverse sneezing. I had never heard of this, but she decribed exactly what he was doing. Said not to worry and it should pass. Anyone else seen this in their dogs?? Vet also has a border collie and says he has these episodes too. She told me just to rub his neck and it will calm the spazim (sp).

It was just the strangest sound and it was like he could not get enough air.

My previous boy, Sam, used to do this occasionally - sometimes just once or twice, sometimes it would go on for ten minutes or so, and be quite violent - heaving ribs etc. I worried it might be a grass seed (foxtail?) up his nose, but my vet said the same as yours, Cheri, and it really didn't seem to be a problem for Sam - just alarming for his doting mama!

My previous dog used to do that quite often, my sister's dog does it too.

The vet told me that it's not quite the same, but something related to hyperventilating. (there's a Latin name for it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is). It's quite harmless, but can look very uncomfortable.

What helps is to gently cup your hand around the dog's nose for a couple of seconds - it usually takes about 2-4 seconds before it stops. Not cut off the air supply completely of course, but sort of allow a little less new air to get in, get them to breathe in a little of what they've exhaled as well.

The gesture is like you're pretending to talk into a walkie-talkie. :rolleyes:

I have dogs that do this. I will get behind them, stretch them up to me and stroke the throat only in a downward position. This seems to really help calm the reverse sneezes.

My acd has bad allergies and her reverse sneezes are usually allergy related.

My poodle gets them but I am not sure why since he does not have allergies.

My bc/mix also used to get them and hers were allergy based.

They are harmless but they will scare you when you aren't sure what is happening.

My Ruger also does this same thing. At first it scared me to death. I also thought my vet was full of it. How could something that looks and sounds like this be harmless. Now I just rub his neck and it will pass. I like to think of it as a reminder to dust the house. :rolleyes:

So glad to see this post!

Fergie also does this occasionally. Sort of like nose hiccups. Vet said OK but not much more. I'' try both suggestions here. Better than tossing a teaspoon of sugar down her throat (my Mom's hiccup cure - even if it didn't work, wwe enjoyed it) or seeing if I can make her drink backwards.

My husband insists these are the strangest dogs.

I guess the biggest question then is "How do you say Gesundheit backwards"? :rolleyes:

The allergy thing got me thinking and I popped a benadryl in Rob last night before bed. I wasn't woken in the middle of the night last night!!

The weather has been really mild here in So Cal for summer and everything is still green and flowering. Maybe Rob's is allergy.

Daughter dropped by before returning to her apartment after a week of camping. Their dogs and ours were playing like crazy last night and maybe he was just worn out too.

"Tieh-dnu-seg!"

I have a Boston Terrier, as well as a BC... Bostons with their short nose and long palate are notorious for reverse sneezing... I do as others above suggested, just try to massage and reassure. It is a routine day for Bostons, and I suppose other dogs. Lysa