BC Boards

ouch!

selena

I have a 6 month old male. He is great, beyond words, but he is always getting hurt. The other day he got a 3rd degree burn in his mouth. Its a long story. But now he is limping. It always seems to be something! The real problem is that he never really shows any reaction. Like he cant feel pain. I work at a vet, and my doc has 2 border collies of her own. Now how many times can i get him looked at? Its crazy. Had anyone had this much trouble? Is it possible that all the limping could be due to growing pains? Yes, this is my first BC. I just am not sure if Im over reacting, or if this is serious. Its not always the same leg. The range of movement seems normal. Its usually after going to a park. And he is on Metacam currently for the burn. HELP!!

Hi Selena,

If you work at a vet, why not ask the vet if s/he thinks it could be growing pains or something else? Apparently your vet has examined your dog a number of times for other issues, and so presumably should have quite a good idea of what's going on with him and so would be in the nest position to advise you. It will be much harder, if not impossible, for someone to tell you what's wrong with your dog over the internet.

J.

Originally posted by selena:

I have a 6 month old male. He is great, beyond words, but he is always getting hurt. The other day he got a 3rd degree burn in his mouth. Its a long story.

Hey Selena ... is this the dog that ate the power cord?

How's his mouth healing?

RDM

Tess limps if she walks on beauty bark! You might spend a visit to the park checking out the footing where your dog spends time. I can't let Tess on beauty bark because it puts splinters in her pads.

Something like that or stickers in the pads would make it a different foot every time, too, I bet.

Allie & Tess

Even though I thought I had looked as deep as I could possibly look (and feel), massaged his feet and shoulders with a long hot dog shower, and worried myself sick, there they were. The smallest foxtails known to man. Like 6 of them. I mean they were sooo small. But they obviously hurt! Luckily Bagheera (I know, strange name for a BC) is incredibley awesome about letting me do what I need to, even if it hurts. Its a good feeling to be trusted by him. After the whole getting electrocuted thing,(which was a week ago tomorrow) I started to panic, looking for any signs of problems. I felt so horrible. Still do, and will forever! He is just so indestructible!

Thanks for your advice

• 2 weeks later...

hiya Selena. I'm new to the boards and am also new to Border Collies. I've had a few dogs but never anything like with a Border Collie.

Penny is 10 months old and has had more accidents and ill health than all my other dogs put together. I think it just the breed and the fact they are so fast, and focused on whatever they are after and not where or what they are running after

OMG :eek: ...... I've not read the electric shock story yet !!!!

Never a dull moment with a Border Collie. :rolleyes: