BC Boards

teeth brushing question

CaelinTess

Ok. So tonight is the first night I have brushed Tess's teeth. I know I should be doing it every day or three times a week or at least once a week. (: Tess does not seem to mind it, as the toothpaste is chicken flavor or something (sure smells like chicken to me, anyway) and she did not care about me stuffing the toothbrush in there to brush, so brush away I did. She did not even get that look where she thinks I am trying to make her miserable, so I consider this a major accomplishment.

My question is -- do I need to somehow brush the INSIDE of the teeth?? The tongue side? Because she does not really care to open her mouth. She let me brush the outside. I was able to get a little of the tops, but no inside. If I am supposed to get the inside, I will try to do that a little at a time, I guess. And use more toothpaste. (:

She does get tons of chewies and she is only 10 months old, so her breath and teeth are still pretty clean. (:

Thanks for any advice you can share. (:

Allie & Tess

My vet said getting the outside brushed is more than most accomplish.

I have the same problem though. She is very good but I hesitate to start making it uncomfortable for her.

One suggestion from my vet: Wrap something (gauze, cut up washcloth) around your finger and use that instead of a brush. I tend to do both.

You can also get a finger brush. It's a soft plastic finger-shaped thing with a short brush on one side. I find it easier to use than a regular tooth brush. It's thick enough that I think a dog would have to chomp down hard to hurt your finger.

Petco and other pet stores carry these.

Deanna

Dogs definitly tend to get more tartar on the outsides of their teeth (especially the upper ones). The insides of the upper teeth are rubbing against the outsides of the bottom teeth when the dog chews. And definitly brushing teeth at all is a lot better than most people with dogs do.