BC Boards

lick granuloma

jrid

My eight year old bitch has developed a lick granuloma. At this point it is the size of a dime.

I have taken her to the vet's office and the first med tried was a mixture of DMSO and Azium. She licked it off. Although the granuloma is not really any worse, it is not getting any better. Now we are going to try some sort of cream called Facilitator. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff or know of any sure fire cures?

thanks

My old dog had one a long time ago on his paw. It was difficult to keep him from licking. As you know the more they lick the more it itches or becomes habit. We never had any special medicine or salves to put on it. I wrapped it in Vet Wrap so he couldn't get to it so easily. This plus just keeping an eye on him (which I could do at the time) seemed to work. If your dog bothers the bandage you could try a Bitter Apple spray on it. Good luck!

Jill

There's some stuff called Wonder Dust, (used mostly for horses, get it at a farm or ranch supply store) that I swear by. It really heals the open raw wound very quickly, maybe in a couple days. Not very expensive, my vet now recommnds it to his other patients.

You will need to keep him from licking the wound until it heals, though. A light wrapping of vet wrap or one of those collar thingys should work.

Good luck!

Ruth n the Border Trio