BC Boards

what should I feed her?

Jewely Girl

I have a BC mix named Jewel. I got her at the humane society in late January of this year. When she first came to me she would eat her food fast and want more. Now that she's been with me awhile and knows she's going to get food regularly, she's gone off the food I've been feeding her. It's Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. I feed my GSD the same food and he's not bored with it (knock on wood).

Is there another food that she might like better that is just as good for her? Right now I've been buying kibble from the grocery store and putting a little on top of the Nutro but I'd prefer if there was a food out there that she would like to eat all the time.

When she refuses to eat the Nutro kibble, she just walks around looking and begging for any human food she can get so I need to find something that will fill her up and satisfy her that's also healthy for her.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Will it help you to know she will NOT starve herself to death?

Border Collies seem to go on eating cycles. It's possible that at the HS kennel, food was the most exciting thing in her life. Now, congratulations, she loves it there and is stimulated enough that she's forgotten the joys of the food bowl.

Don't let her manipulate you unless you want to find another food for some reason. Nutro is a decent food. There are even more premium kibbles but they are harder to find and are pricey. You'd proably cry if you spent $2 a pound on 25 pounds of food and found out one of your dogs didn't like it or couldn't tolerate it. Though most good pet stores will let you return it in that case.

Otherwise, put down her food for about ten minutes every mealtime, then take it up. Give it about half the week and I guarantee you she will be wolfing down her food again.

Do NOT do this with water, though! (c:

Thanks Rebecca

I will start just putting it down for ten minutes and make sure to keep the counters in the kitchen cleared off. She loves bread and bagels! She does like the Chicken Soup food as well but I found that it was like Chinese food for her and she wouldn't stay full for very long. The Nutro has the Glucosamine and Chondroitin as well which I really like.