BC Boards

Anal Glands

Pixie

Hubby took Rose (6 month old) to vets on Saturday as she was biting the base of her tail like crazy. Turns out it was her anal glands, which were promptly emptied and she was given an injection. The vet told my husband that it was unusual for a border collie to have this problem. What are the causes, could it be diet related and is it likely to continue. I had my other dogs until they were 15 and I never encountered this.

Thanks for any help!!

Our 2 yr old Border Collie X Bailey has recently had an "odor".(like a bucket of old fish!) Tracked it to her tail end. Presumed it might be from her anal glands, although we have never seen her chewing or scooting around. Internet said a diet with enough fibre will naturally express these glands when the dog has a bowel movement. We feed Medi-Cal dry food from the Vets. Should I be supplementing her diet with more?

When Duncan (our first BC) was a pup he had anal gland problems. We would express them when we bathed him to prevent the glands from being expressed by him in undesired locations. Duncan no longer has problems with his anal glands. Starr (our second BC) will express her own anal glands periodically, usually on her dog bed. This is followed by airing out the room, washing her dog bed and her backside. None of our other dogs have known anal gland problems.

Mark