BC Boards

OT-Ebay. ..

Check his feedback and see what other people said. If the feedback is made private, so you won't see it, beware...

The seller might have their own check-out system, that happens sometimes with those that sell large quanities, and it is common practice.

I am not sure what he meant by "privatly".

It might be totally fine - or they could just be trying to save Ebay seller fees.

Some high volume sellers want you to check out using their forms because it streamlines their process. Checking out thru ebay doesn't protect you in any way.

The fact that they might say you never payed and ask for a refund on their listing fee from Ebay isn't really your business - as it may not even be accurate.

What does protect you, is paying with say Paypal which has limits of insurance that protects you.

Either way, any online transactions where you pay then receive product DOES run the risk that you won't be sent the product.

I've done a lot of Ebaying over the last 7 years, both buying and selling and have had high volume sellers ask me to checkout via their system. (In fact, just did that from a shoe vendor - from who I've bought from at least 3 times before). I still payed with paypal.

If you go thru Ebay ckout, they might not get it (turned off the notify feature), ignore it or put you thru the proper system anyway (unlikely). Ebay used to not have a checkout system. It was implemented when people started using online pay systems (ie. paypal, bidpay, etc) and ebay eventually bought Paypal since no one wanted to use their proprietary BidPay. It's a convenience for sellers who have no system. (I used to take cashier's checks all the time as payment before online pay was avail.)

Best of luck.

I believe the seller just wants her to checkout notthru ebay, not sell outside Ebay.

It's a totally different thing.

You don't have to 'check out' thru ebay if you are going to send a Money Order for instance. The check out is a process, not a requirement.

I've had that happen to me. It was only for a small amount so I paid it and didn't get anything for it.

I was told the reason the seller wanted me to pay "out of eBay" was because the seller was not allowed to sell on eBay any longer.

I didn't understand how the item could be posted if he couldn't sell but I never did get a good explaination.

Don't do it, no matter how much you want the ring.

As an experienced eBay buyer, I have run across this on several times in the past. Sellers have various reasons for doing this, some of which have been cited in this string. It is wise to be wary, but I personally have never had a problem; I would suggest you check the seller's feedback to see if there have been any problems in the past with any other buyers.

I have never had it happen to me, but I'm really careful on there. I have only bought a few things, and I have never had a problem with it. But I don't think I would take that chance. God Bless

I went ahead and got the ring. Out of almost 2000 reviews, only 3 were negative and none of them screamed "SCAM! Beware!" or anything like that. ..they were all related to the contidtion of the product (i.e. vintage braclet was to fragile to wear, wouldnt refund) that sort of thing. I hope I checked out the right way. I got an invoice in my inbox, and I used paypal.

Now I just hope the I like the ring when I see it in person. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice guys!

Sounds like he'll be ok. Common sense goes a long way. Good to hear that you got it. God Bless

Since you did check out through PayPal, you are covered by the PayPal protection plan that allows you to dispute purchase that aren't authorized, or if you return the item and the seller wont refund, they collect on your behalf. I've had to do this in the past. You're fine either way.