BC Boards

pink hair between toes and pads???

kaos

Hi all

Just wondering if having pink hair on the bottom of their feet is indicative of a food allergy as I was once told????

A vet once mentioned that the pinking of the fur (kaos has mostly white fur on the bottom of her paws) was a sign/symptom of a food allergy or intolerance and that all food groups should be eliminated and then reintroduced one at a time to see what the casusative agent is.

She has had pink fur for the last 3-4 years and has been fed innova, canidae, iams, eukanuba, beneful (I know I know, we switched as soon as we were educated!) and has always had it. I would be willing to try and figure out her trigger (if the pink is an allergy symptom and not an old wives tale) but wonder how long she would have to be ona bland diet for the pink colouring to disappear in order to watch for its reappearance..... sorry I'm rambling now, its late and I'm tired... has any one else ever heard of this?

sara

One of my dogs has pink fur between her toes. She never chews or licks them unless she is cleaning something. If it is an allergy I'm sure not worried about it. On the other hand my pup has one toe that is pink sometimes......he likes to suck it if he gets really really bored, ie I forget to put a toy in his crate with him.

I currently have a bitch whose paws are pink. She flips the water bowl over in her crate and her paws have been damp for hours, resulting in the discoloration. The discoloration also could be fungal in nature. In a case like that, I've used a powdered athlete's foot treatment, and eventually the discoloration faded.

If your dog is not worrying her feet and they are dry, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd watch though should the discoloration spread.

Vicki