BC Boards

BC size

libby-at-home

hi...from what I have read here, it seems like that there is quite a variation in the size of BC's. But I'm wondering how small is small? What is the smallest"normal"BC size and weight? My 5 month old pup seems to be quite small, though her Mom was tiny. She isn't skinny, has a great appetite, been de-wormed,very healthy all round... just very tiny....I'm not worried, just wondering...

also, usually at what age do they generally quit growing physically?

thanks!

Ours range from slightly less than 30 lbs to slightly more than 50 lbs.

They seem to reach their adult frame size between 1 and 1.5 years and then fill out.

I must say based upon our smallest, it's not the size of the Border Collie it's the size of the attitude in the Border Collie that counts.

Mark

I've noticed since I got her at 8 weeks old, she had these huge ribs. I thought she wasn't fed enough so I fed her well, she still has slim waistline (very beautiful too) and at 5 and 1/2 months, her ribs are still a lot bigger than everywhere else. From side, she looks slender all the way, but from the top view, her ribs are like 2 inches wider sticking out.

I'm not sure how to measure her, is it from the front shoulder blade? If so, she is 17" and 20 lbs...not TO far from your pup, INU...

As for her BC attitude..she is very bidable,easy to train,very smart. I have to say it is pretty cute seeing her get into a herding stance (hunched down as she follows and giving the eye) as our neighbours walk by!

YAY! lol happy and her sisters are not the only BCs that look like that! lol her structur always amazed me because her sisters were the only the BCs I had ever soon that looked like that! by the way jazzie look a LOT like misty! minus the fact that misty is a split face lol!

I fixed my siggie for it makes more sence lol, only 6 of them are dogs.

Ben's roughly 16" at the withers and weighs about 41#--6# heavier than when I got him, but he still seems way too skinny to me, and his hips and spine/tailbone still protrude a lot (it seems that the poor baby was not only abused, but starved...don't you just hate people?), and I can still feel pretty much every bone in his body. When I first took him in the week after I got him, the vet said he was still a bit skinny at 41#, but it seems that everyone's dog is pretty skinny/light, so maybe i have nothing to worry about?

I was trying to put a different pic and now the whole post is gone!

Anyway, I just took her to put Microchip and they weighted her. She was 30 lbs (at 5 1/2months)!!! she was 24 lbs like a few weeks ago (if they checked it right)... maybe she will be a big girl after all...

Shayna, Thanks for specifying the names! No cats?

Originally posted by libby-at-home:

hi...from what I have read here, it seems like that there is quite a variation in the size of BC's. But I'm wondering how small is small? What is the smallest"normal"BC size and weight?

There isn't a "smallest", the size and weights simply vary.

My oldest male, at 7 years, is a lean 50 lbs and 21.5 inches tall.

My 3.5 year old male is 20" and weighs about 40 lbs.

My 13 month old bitch is 17-18" and weighs around 25 lbs.

I have met border collies smallest than my smallest, and others bigger than my biggest. They just vary.

also, usually at what age do they generally quit growing physically?
I find they tend to reach full height at about a year, and then continue to fill out until somewhere between 18 months and 2 years. Some of the weight they gain is muscle mass though.

RDM

And bone density (as bone density increases, the bone gets heavier, but no bigger).

Puberty closes the growth plate (although it doesn't slam it shut overnight, just signals it to close down), and most dogs go into puberty at about 8 to 10 months (on average), so the "approximately a year of age is when they stop getting taller" estimate is a decent rule of thumb. Thereafter their "growing" energy gets put to increasing muscle mass and skeletal robustness. (As RDM said, more concisely).

As BTW, dogs spayed or neutered before puberty - the population as a whole - are slightly taller than ones that go into puberty first. In an individual dog, this is probably not a very significant increase, but considered all together, the stats say the early spay/neuter group is slightly taller. Which is also why "late bloomers" in humans are often taller than the "early bloomers" who are otherwise genetically similar.