BC Boards

Urine color?

I have heard that clear is good. I might be wrong but that's what I heard.

This is from human medicine but would also apply here.

Mark

Urine consists of excess water and waste products that have been filtered from the blood by the kidneys. Its natural yellow color is due to excretion of urochrome, a pigment from blood. Depending on the amount of fluids you drink, your urine can range in color from almost clear (diluted) to dark orange (concentrated).

Source: Urine color: What does it mean?

Clear often means its diluted. I seem to remember puppies can have more dilute urine than adult dogs. She may just be drinking too much at times during the day. I'd see if her first morning urine sample is yellow coloured. If it is, maybe she just likes water a little too much. If its alwasy dilute looking, I'd get it checked out by the vet just to make sure there's no problems.

Dazzle always had clear urine as a pup - and still a bit now. However one of the shih tzus has very dark urine.

It doesn't really matter by itself unless there are other problems. It can be very different by age, and from dog to dog. Not to mention day to day! The pup is probobly OK.

You might want to have the concentration of the urine checked out after 8 hours of no water, especially if she's having accidents when she didn't used to. It's probably that she is just tanking up on water, but it could be something else (diabetes insipidus, for instance, or kidney disease). One of our females also had almost clear urine, but it turned out to be that she was just drinking a lot of water for no obvious reason--which also meant more frequent urination