BC Boards

One Litter?

sea4th

This is posed as a question. I don't have enough information to comment. I caught the tail end of a news segment on television this morning. All that I got out of it was that conclusions from an experiment done with mice (by whom, I don't know) suggest that the females are calmer after a litter or two.

Did anyone see this and if so, enlighten me on what all this was about?

Granted, what I heard could be out of context, but based on the limited amount I did hear, I can't help but think "Geez, just what the dog world needs---a green light, a scientific sanctioning to justify 'just one litter'".

Anyone?

Vicki

Those of us with kids seem to be calmer housewives. Yeah, we've learned what to ignore?
Is that what it is? In my case, it would better be described as "brain death", by the time my offspring were done with me.

If the segment you saw Nancy, ended with mice, then we very well might very well have seen the same thing. That "wives tale" about breeding just one time has been around for a long time, and I still run across a lot of people that hold to that philosophy---that's why I'd really like to track down this "study".

Vicki

The study I saw about it - though I saw it on the internet, so use caution in interpreting it - was done in either mice or rats, but the researchers said they expected it to apply across the board to other species. It said that there were neurological changes in the brain that down-regulated the activity of the fear center in the brain - I forget the mechanism, but it seemed to permanently alter the brain.

I wish I COULD recall the mechanism - what hormones or stimuli caused the change (though maybe I don't remember it because they didn't yet know the mechanism)... since all dogs do a false pregnancy, then maybe they'd get the same effect from that as they would from an actual one, if it were just the hormones of pregnancy that made the alteration, not the act of whelping or rearing a litter. Yikes, what a disaster if "everyone" decided to breed their dog to calm it down... :eek: