BC Boards

Snapping

Hi, I have a 5yr old Border Collie bitch named Molly. We have had her since she was 10weeks old, took her to puppy class and then dog training. She is much loved, stimulated and walked on a daily basis, but has not ever really been a cuddly dog and does not like to be groomed. If we try to dry her with a towel or brush her she will growl and show her teeth. We take her to a groomer that can do anything with her! More recently she has enjoyed being stroked and petted more, but today during this process she just suddenly turned and snapped at me for no reason at all. I was taken by complete surprise as she appeared to be enjoying it and will often nudge for more. She didn’t bite me or anything like that but she definitely meant it. I just said ‘Hey what’s that all about’ and she was immediately all over me acting as though she was sorry. This has not happened for at least 6months and I was hopeful that things were improving but now feel it’s a set back. 
She lives with just my husband and myself. We have always used positive reinforcement for training in a calm environment, she is our 4th border collie so we understand the breed and can think of no reason why this happens. Any advice would be gratefully received. 

For some reason this sounds like you surprised her today? Try again and see if the same spot is a trigger for the snap. Then I'd be thinking along the lines of an injury there.  That said though, it sounds like she calls the shots with you and your husband whereas the groomer calls the shots with her.

Thank you for your replies, and suggestions. She has never snapped at the groomer so it may be a good idea for me to stay on an occasion and observe. I think it’s true to say she may well be calling the shots! I am not sure what to do about this as she has been trained by me and is very obedient and to a great extent I feel that I do have the control, but not in the area of being able to handle her for grooming which I feel quite upset about. I feel that she is an anxious little dog in as much as she doesn’t like the hoover or any banging of saucepans etc.  She  doesn’t act as though she is in charge. I wonder if it would be worth me seeking a behaviouralist. She is such a lovely dog and so easy in many ways, it’s just I feel I cannot wholeheartedly trust her. 

Before you go the route of a behaviorist (a knowledgeable one is hard to find), I think you need to go back to basic training.  This can either be just you going out every day (and I mean every day for a while) and going through some basic training -- or even going back to a class.  This would re-establish a bond as well as re-establishing who's in charge.  I would also do the "nilf" ("Nothing In Life is Free" or back in my day we just called it "don't give a treat without having the dog do something for it." lol)

I totally agree with having the pain theory checked out and I also agree with observing her at the groomer.  Then you'll have all your bases covered.

Please let us know how this progresses.  I'm always interested to see what works in these situations. 

Even though it seems like it to you, the dog did not snap for no reason at all. She had a reason of her own. Dogs always have a reason if they do something like that, it's just us who think it has no reason because the reason is not apparent to us. Good to remember that, I think.

And also a good idea to find out what that is, and you have had good advice on how to start that investigation.