BC Boards

Need advice, Luna 10-week-old Border

7 hours ago, beachdogz said:

duh.  Am I the only person who doesn't know this?  What's a "side pass"??? :P

Don't feel dumb! Unless you know something about freestyle you wouldn't have a reason to know it, I don't think.

Side pass is: Dog is standing in heel position  on right or left side, and you move sideways and the dog moves sideways with you, either away from your body as you move in to the dog or towards your body if you are moving away from the dog, both of you moving sideways. Or, dog is in front of you facing you, you move sideways and the dog moves sideways with you or in the opposite direction. Or, dog is behind you facing your back, same thing.

On 1/28/2023 at 10:27 AM, beachdogz said:

duh.  Am I the only person who doesn't know this?  What's a "side pass"??? :P

Have your dog standing in front of you. As you step left/right, they do too! If you watch, and train it carefully,  they will step sideways with both front and rear at the same time. Side pass. Many steps to initiate the behavior,  however,  any dog that is handler focused and food focused,  will try to follow the food!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, Journey said:

Teach her individual foot awareness. Teach her to place her feet in a or on a bucket, then to walk around said bucket with feet in or on it, both directions. Teach her to walk up a wall with her back feet, lots of pieces to get there..teach her to lay down, grab a corner of a blanket, roll herself up in said blanket! Lots of pieces here that will need to be chained together! Teach her to fit both left feet at the same time and or both right. Again, lots to chain together to get the end results. About the only thing you can't teach her is what you can't imagine or figure out how to convey to her to learn what you want. Teach her to climb into a box, then make the box progressively smaller! Teaching clam is wonderful but it can't be expected 7/24. Teach her to use her mind and her body.  Of course, this all takes time, small steps at a time, you will go fast forward and then backwards, it's all part of learning!

NKkelKSIaZV2RpmD3ZHorkMHvdQ-36iw-HHTVxhRN1lzMuxBIfLNiEM9VbpABy5Udl8SzPFr04xreM6w_pqRt3FFE4hiOHIQRLLxuC5n6_y6COykH5KKxCbuOvNbw_9WsUpAyFQIen8Vh6PzC0Mkc0Wu9ECk9KZeCWevEYhoNhowtBLxgdL9iO35gw7Wk94LGxZ7HeD9OVYnl06b1fZhfaU4qL8DqFXIIMkTuWUhi6VlbhR5stjURIuOIEVz-B73yOacj1Jl1OLx1JT7Ef0ibBBknI26oTGuzgkcMQQSc3EcZN9i3jHk4BFQQPMTNhiZTi9t1w-ocW1mozoPPYnGlMgPBNEx-B2xqOy7ev6xhpdjCcq-cvdK0Tg8eCwyxZQ5iTNih_LrE4R9l5YsIbCf0W5YzF3vHwyinM1nhxSg7p0B6yn03XRBWEDaHFH5vEQ5poegl8FTC0mNhI9x_mbsscz1lGaQrYxsuW-b9FCjAUuaqOf3SiKaibqg0nTDpD9V_qGrY_18ph3-fQVeVvAMwjrI6pydMWuI1eHsTIkUvT5T50DjgWRikYnFuxOvHfHdFdB8yT0mvJAyCEe6mcFrGd5v9UDaeVGHlsfxKQSu5Ozg72DUGHmHXzngUtcJRh0oFPG7Jtc9ZRERphRnHie-42JNUptspsY8djdwpYuo8eIDNYqLwaf_OHGD8EbwlI-M4ybpzj6oGtbJ4MenIJGpMKJAAbJSs9x4-dRaQv_PRakHabEdYahFfLPYvciiy_8vwdURWCZ8HZutClImF2yXcGyRg8tRAErqLoRT_LoinDkDDG1DGaAjyzchka2HeEqoTB9PBxGTUdMSVdP2JptDLDwl5F9qrrBCT2ZAbrgB7Jm3sKLo0LuNfXA97G9M3DDuqpFbjgxSfv5sP8Jgcyewzb9DtggUbwYteXwnGUEW0OnRFw=w408-h929-no?authuser=0

Just now, Valesnc said:

NKkelKSIaZV2RpmD3ZHorkMHvdQ-36iw-HHTVxhRN1lzMuxBIfLNiEM9VbpABy5Udl8SzPFr04xreM6w_pqRt3FFE4hiOHIQRLLxuC5n6_y6COykH5KKxCbuOvNbw_9WsUpAyFQIen8Vh6PzC0Mkc0Wu9ECk9KZeCWevEYhoNhowtBLxgdL9iO35gw7Wk94LGxZ7HeD9OVYnl06b1fZhfaU4qL8DqFXIIMkTuWUhi6VlbhR5stjURIuOIEVz-B73yOacj1Jl1OLx1JT7Ef0ibBBknI26oTGuzgkcMQQSc3EcZN9i3jHk4BFQQPMTNhiZTi9t1w-ocW1mozoPPYnGlMgPBNEx-B2xqOy7ev6xhpdjCcq-cvdK0Tg8eCwyxZQ5iTNih_LrE4R9l5YsIbCf0W5YzF3vHwyinM1nhxSg7p0B6yn03XRBWEDaHFH5vEQ5poegl8FTC0mNhI9x_mbsscz1lGaQrYxsuW-b9FCjAUuaqOf3SiKaibqg0nTDpD9V_qGrY_18ph3-fQVeVvAMwjrI6pydMWuI1eHsTIkUvT5T50DjgWRikYnFuxOvHfHdFdB8yT0mvJAyCEe6mcFrGd5v9UDaeVGHlsfxKQSu5Ozg72DUGHmHXzngUtcJRh0oFPG7Jtc9ZRERphRnHie-42JNUptspsY8djdwpYuo8eIDNYqLwaf_OHGD8EbwlI-M4ybpzj6oGtbJ4MenIJGpMKJAAbJSs9x4-dRaQv_PRakHabEdYahFfLPYvciiy_8vwdURWCZ8HZutClImF2yXcGyRg8tRAErqLoRT_LoinDkDDG1DGaAjyzchka2HeEqoTB9PBxGTUdMSVdP2JptDLDwl5F9qrrBCT2ZAbrgB7Jm3sKLo0LuNfXA97G9M3DDuqpFbjgxSfv5sP8Jgcyewzb9DtggUbwYteXwnGUEW0OnRFw=w408-h929-no?authuser=0

Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate everyone's kind words and help. I have had Borders for many years and Luna has certainly given me a run for my money. Luna has settled in, and we are all going to live through it, she is turning into a beautiful baby girl, learning more every day. We work on that Border mind and body every day. I am such a believer in how much happier they can be if they are working their brains as well as their bodies. She still reminds me of some of the rescue dogs I have had, which is so sad for such a tiny baby. She is certainly gaining trust in us, and I am certain this is where we have won many of our battles. I have great faith in this baby girl now, she will be the star of whatever she is taught as we go along in our adventure.  I will try to keep updates happening =) <3 

On 1/23/2023 at 8:46 AM, Journey said:

You've been given lots of good advice. 

Honestly, I haven't known a pup that wasn't a water getter! They play, watch it move, splash it, etc..it's a phase of some sort but one that I won't encourage nor discourage. Just let it be. As for hiding her food, if that's what she likes so be it. I only allow the food to be down for a certain amount of time, then it's mine again. With puppies I will be a bit more lenient, though they do not have access to is 7/24. Only when I put it down for them.

Play vs biting. In training, you want her using her mind, not her body. I am one that hates balls, a mindless game that turns into a viscous cycle. Teach her mental games. Wait, stay, find it, etc..also, teach her to allow a cookie on each paw, while laying down, and to give you eye contact. Make her think. Don't over do this but activate the brain not just reactions. Teach her a "touch" command, then it can be transferred to anything at all you want her to touch. Teach her to back up, physically walk backwards, off your pressure of walking in towards her, teach her to side pass. Teach her games that she has to think! It sounds to me like your game with the ball is over the top for her. Back up, way back. Teach her to find it it instead. A 10 week old biting, is normal imo. It will only get worse though as teething is about to begin. Be sure to have good chews for her (aside from you!). 

You are doing well with the play pen, however, when you crate her is it in a different room? Covered? Quiet? Where is her playpen? If you are using this to get her to settle be sure the environment is conducive to it. Even if she is only good for 30 seconds, reward that! Slowly build up.  Personally, I would never even contemplate medicating a pup this young. Take your time, allow her to decompress, and learn each other. Learn what works, what doesn't. At her age she's been through enough. I wouldn't ask for too much all at once. When she wants to run and play, let her, I wouldn't make that part of my training though! Groom her, trim her toes, all of this will allow her and you to figure each other out, figure out what makes her tick! What does she like and dislike? And lastly..how many time a day are you feeding her? What type of food?

Hi, thanks for the reply and post I appreciate your info, I have had Borders for many years and my concern was the excessive bite (snarl and snapping) She is improving so much that I think with so many on here helping and reminding to do a few things different. I believe as well in mind and body. Luna was eating twice a day but now she is eating three times a day and we feed Go Solutions one of their all-stage Duck recipes with grains.  Her Play pen is in our living room, it is just the two of us, we are retired, we will move her to the crate in our Bedroom soon. When she is biting, we just put her in the pen, walk away to the kitchen for a few min, come back and let her out.  When she is over stimulated, I have told her it is time to take a break, she now just jumps in her pen and plops, she is learning that settling is a good thing.  I tell her down and settle.  She is a smart little gal, I appreciate her little mind and we have grown so much. 

Thank you again for all the great words you have given.

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon, Luna says hi! We are just checking in, letting everyone know our training is going awesome, we have learned so much and we love to do new things all the time. Luna still has biting issues; she seems too not be able to tell me her feelings, like hey Mom I am so mad at the cat, or I am hungry must be time for lunch or dinner ect, or I need to go outside and go potty. If she has a feeling that goes to a state of urgency seems to make her frustrated, she will then in turn just show us she needs something by biting mostly my husband =(. I feel like I am going backwards, I can get her to stop and sit and then figure out what she needs, it is most definitely she knows yeah, I know I am not supposed to bite but it gets my message across faster. My poor husband is the chew stick, I feel like he has always been that he had the TBI, and his emotions run high.  She is something for sure and has so much love inside her as well. I can see her poor emotions all over the place, I feel like I have two PTSD patients, yet I am not sure how to deal with the fur covered one haha I have stumbled through the last 30yrs with the flesh covered one and had the help of doctors.  Anyone have anything to offer I am always willing to listen and always thank you all so very much for always being around for those that need help.

P.S Luna is 16 weeks old yesterday, she loves to go for short walks and loves her training sessions I do two-three a day lasting only 5 - 8 min long. She loves playing in the yard with her different toys (bring-it drop it- sit, ready) and walking on a leash in the yard exploring.  She sleeps all night except when she gets up 1-2 times for a potty. She takes two-three puppy naps lasting between 1-3 hours a day.

Valerie

IMG_20230216_130833545_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

Hold on for the ride...teething has just begun. Honestly,  keep your patience in spades and your sense of humor. She will get worse before she gets better. Frustration,  angst, hunger, pain, teething is not for the faint. I found frozen wash clothes were the best chew, completely supervised,  to help them, or soft rubber chews that they can completely sink into chewing..good luck!

Sounds like everything is going well and right on track.  My method of dealing with the gnawing on humans when these two were puppies was to give a yelp and then always immediately divert them away from the chewing with whatever was handy.  (i.e. toss a toy;  pop a toy into their mouth;  give them a chew stick immediately;  or if nothing was available,  literally get up or move away.) 

Sometimes the hardest part is not the puppy but getting your family (husband and kids) to get with that program.  For me it is my husband, who continues to be the challenge LOL.  I had chews on almost every end table near a chair everywhere in my house so that when the gnawing started, I had something to offer instead.  This got us through until the gnawing stage was over.  I do not know the extent of your husband's ptsd or tbi and if it will allow him to act quickly when she bites or not.  If he can't, then I would say it would be up to you to divert her attention. 

As my mother would always say, "This, too, shall pass."   As long as you are careful not to unintentionally encourage it by not addressing it.  And thank you for the updated photos :wub: