BC Boards

Our New Addition

She wasn't exactly planned .... we were going to wait until this coming spring or summer to add another dog.  But, a friend sent me her shelter listing, and we ended up adopting this girl.  Her name is Stella Marissa.

And ... according to her DNA test, she is 25% Border Collie!!

Eskihuahua.jpg

On 12/11/2022 at 7:57 PM, GentleLake said:

I'm curious. What's the other 75% From just this pic I'd have easily believed it if you'd told me she's purebred BC. LOL

Congratulations, Stella Marissa. You scored yourself a great home. :wub:

Some of the results were surprising ...

31% Australian Cattle Dog
25% Border Collie
26% American Eskimo Dog

And .....

17% Chihuahua!!!!

Honestly, I don't see the Chihuahua in her at all - not physically, nor in personality.

But, the Cattle Dog, Border Collie, and Eskimo Dog .... definitely!!!

Wow, she is gorgeous! I can see why you couldn't resist her. What size is she? 

I will be looking for a small border collie or BC mix when I am ready for my next dog. Small because i don't want to have a dog I cannot pick up if there is a need to, and the amount of weight I can lift has decreased. she looks like a great size. And it sounds like a good mix to me, since ACD and American Eskimo are both good, smart breeds. Chihuahuas can be pretty darn smart too. Like you, I don't see the chihuahua, but can see the other breeds. All in all she seems to be a good dog and I hope you'll keep us up to date on her. Do you think she will make a Freestyle dog?

4 hours ago, D'Elle said:

Wow, she is gorgeous! I can see why you couldn't resist her. What size is she? 

I will be looking for a small border collie or BC mix when I am ready for my next dog. Small because i don't want to have a dog I cannot pick up if there is a need to, and the amount of weight I can lift has decreased. she looks like a great size. And it sounds like a good mix to me, since ACD and American Eskimo are both good, smart breeds. Chihuahuas can be pretty darn smart too. Like you, I don't see the chihuahua, but can see the other breeds. All in all she seems to be a good dog and I hope you'll keep us up to date on her. Do you think she will make a Freestyle dog?

She is small!  It was so perfect.  I wanted a Border Collie-sized dog and my husband wanted another small dog.

When I saw Stella for the first time, the first words out of my mouth were, "she's little!"  But, she's not.  She is not much shorter than Bandit, but she is smaller.  She is only about 25 pounds, although I think she has gained a bit.  She was underweight when we first adopted her.

But, I can easily pick her up, and I love that.

Bandit is small, too - he only weighs 35 pounds - but now he is the biggest dog in the house.  His new nickname is, "my BIG BEAST!"

Yes, I think she is going to be a Freestyle dog.  Not sure about live competitions, although I am hopeful.  She was completely shut down when we brought her home, and she still gets nervous when I take her places.

But, she has come so far.  She is completely comfortable at home now.  I really think that once we start classes this winter and she gets used to that context, she will gain a ton of confidence.

She was from a hoarding situation, and I know her early life was not optimal, but she has been a delightful surprise over and over and over.  At the very least, we will definitely be doing video stuff, but the possibility of live is there, I think.

She is so smart and she already does some Freestyle moves naturally!  Her gait is gorgeous!!  I think she has a bright future as a dancer!  But, we shall see!!

I will definitely keep you posted!  Here is a more recent photo.  Her coat is growing and her weight is more normal now.

Stella Gorgeous.jpg

She is just stunning.

My experience with fostering shut down dogs from hoarding or puppy mill situations is that if progress is made quickly, there's great potential for the dog to become a normal, friendly and outgoing dog. If the progress is very slow, the dog is going to get better, learn how to be a dog, and be comfortable at home but may not ever be comfortable with strange people or situations. This is of course in general, and there is always the exception although I didn't personally have one.

Her having come a long way already shows great promise. I would bet that she will make a dancer, and would love to hear more of her progress over time.

Even Kelso, my most shut down foster dog ever, became a happy and goofy playful dog eventually. He won't ever be OK with strange people, but he can go to a new situation or place and be OK as long as he is with his people. And it took a year and a half just to get him to the point that he knew how to be a dog. 

So I think you have every reason to be optimistic.  (I'm a little jealous!)