BC Boards

Puppy changing color

I bought home a black and white 9 week old puppy, and now I have a 5.5 month old one who is partially brown, and weekly seems to be continuously changing, which seems really weird to me. I didn't know they could change color. His  mum is a tri, dad is B&W none of the litter had any brown on them. He comes from a very reputable (and famous) European ISDS working breeder. He is a super pup and I could not be more pleased with him, but the color change is strange and wondered if any one had any experience. I did ask my vets about it and they had no ideas. 

On 12/2/2022 at 6:38 AM, alligande said:

His  mum is a tri, dad is B&W none of the litter had any brown on them. He comes from a very reputable (and famous) European ISDS working breeder. 

GCV brings up a good point..your DNA test should tell you about his coloring. Assuming the parents were done, including EOAD marker test? I only say this as you made it a point to drum up the breeder..I still think you're probably looking at the remainder of puppy fuzz yet to be shed..

Just to be sure I have this right...it's only the black fur turning brown, right? So now he is looking like a brown and white dog?

It would be interesting to find out if there were red or brown in the grandparents  or even great grandparents. Genetics can do funny things. Maybe there's a brown in the bitch's parentage which combined with her tri and made this happen.

And yes.....post photos!! I need puppy photos!

On 12/9/2022 at 5:00 PM, D'Elle said:

Just to be sure I have this right...it's only the black fur turning brown, right? So now he is looking like a brown and white dog?

It would be interesting to find out if there were red or brown in the grandparents  or even great grandparents. Genetics can do funny things. Maybe there's a brown in the bitch's parentage which combined with her tri and made this happen.

And yes.....post photos!! I need puppy photos!

He is now a black, brown and white dog, still predominately black and white, but has brown highlights around is neck and feathers. I have the bitch and sires 5 generation pedigrees and see the color going back 3 generations and no brown or red, lots of tris. Puppy photos to follow 

I just took this as the sun was shining on him just right to show the brown. You can see the brown fur running through the black coat on his shoulders and hips. The top of his back is a gorgeous black. I don't care what color he is, I love a bit of individuality, probably why I am always attracted to tris. It was just strange to see my black puppy going brown! When he is around dog people, I get strange looks and asked what color is he B)

drake.jpg

15 minutes ago, Journey said:

Ah, my understanding is there is no DNA test for the color "seal". His furnishings are normal pup fuzz..I wonder if the color is his undercoat and it's showing as he's not done with new coat growth from the original puppy shed?

that's what we thought when he started changing as he obviously had most of his puppy coat, but he is just getting browner as more adult coat comes in. It just a wait and see situation. Will check back in a couple of months and see where we are :rolleyes: