BC Boards

Tumor on Heart

terrecar

• 2 weeks later...

Has this happened for your dog? If so, I am so sorry and offer my support. I don't know anything about such things, so what I think may be useless. But it seems to me that an x-ray would be in order to make sure that is what it is. Of course, maybe all that is needed is the echo. Have you seen the picture results yourself?

D’Elle: 

First, thank you for your support. It is much appreciated. You are right about the X-rays. Hannah has an appointment in mid-November to see a Veterinary Oncologist (the soonest they can get her in). My veterinarian wasn’t sure, initially, if we should see a cardiologist or an oncologist. However, the cardiologist (or tech, not sure) who interpreted the results suggested an oncologist for a CT scan. The person I spoke to at oncology said the doctor may want to first take X-rays at our consult.

The good news is that the tumor is very small and likely slow growing. I have seen it, as I have a copy of the echocardiogram results, including images and notes; it is very small, thank God. The risk is if it bleeds and causes fluid build up, but Hannah’s echo shows no evidence of that. Another positive is that the heart meds Hannah is on has improved her heart function. My vet led with that news… The bitter bottom line is that it can be life limiting. Hannah just turned 12 this month, so I’m hoping she beats the clock.

12 is definitely not old for a border collie, so I hope that it is very slow growing and/or that there is a safe medication that may slow the growth. Such awful news to get, no matter what, though. My beloved Digger dog, my scruffy terrier, has a heart murmur and when I learned about it I was deeply concerned. But he is on medication that seems to be keeping it from getting any worse so far (2 years at this point), so it seems likely to me now that it won't shorten his life. I wish the same for you and  Hannah.

• 3 weeks later...

So… the heart mass doesn’t show up on x-rays at this point, but neither is there any evidence of metastasis. Yesterday’s exam was with the oncologist. Next is with a cardiologist. Here is a cut/paste of a portion of the oncologist’s notes:

It would be ideal for Hannah to be evaluated by cardiologist for a full cardiac work up. We are putting Hannah on the list to see the cardiologist in January as a 2-3 month follow up from the initial identification of her mass. Most chemodectomas progress slowly so waiting until that time to re-asses is reasonable. If the mass is growing then we will discuss starting Palladia.

Thankfully, she is asymptomatic, so that is a blessing!

Thank you D’Elle and Journey. I was devastated by the initial discovery, but I am learning to appreciate anything positive surrounding this challenge. So, the fact that it’s likely slow growing is something for which I am grateful.

• 2 months later...

Oh, I am so sorry.

I have had a very recent loss myself. My perfect heart-and-soul dog, my scruffy terrier Digger,  just died earlier this month. He had a growth on his gums that grew very rapidly and then started bleeding and wouldn't stop. It all happened within 2 weeks and it is devastating to have something like that, or like your loss, happen because you want so badly to be able to do something about it and cannot.

My heart goes out to you ever so much.

Oh no, D’Elle, I’m so sorry. I remember reading your comments about Digger. My heart goes out to you as well.

I also want to offer condolences to you, Ruth, for the loss of your boy Gibbs.