BC Boards

Volunteer Ideas for Herding Dog

Hello, 

This is going to be a random question that I thought wouldn't hurt to ask. So I've been taking herding lessons with my first dog Braden and we are making progress. We also just acquired a "started" dog that was just shy of a year old. She has shown tremendous potential and we hope to trial her soon. Anyways, my question is...once a dog is trained to herd well and is reliable, is there any way you can volunteer their skills to help out the community? We don't own land or sheep (although that is an eventual goal of ours) and we do plan on entering trials and traveling to do different trials, etc., however, I would also like put our training to good use besides trialing, if that's possible. Has anyone ever does this or have any ideas? If not, I'm completely happy with trialing and working towards our own sheep flock goal :) Thanks! 

You might find someone who needs help controlling nuisance animals with non-lethal means.  Examples would be geese near airports or on athletic fields, or deer on farms and nurseries.  I did a little of the latter with my Australian shepherd for friends whose property was being invaded by a neighbor's exotic red deer.

Volunteer to do set out at trials, or exhaust for the non regular classes if any are offered. I'd stay away from predator control, generally it is the opposite of what you want your working dog to do. You can also offer to farm sit if that's possible with your situation. I'd be leery of a yearling that's "started" doing anything above their ability at a trial. Too much pressure too soon. The mind has to grow.

• 5 weeks later...

What Journey said! 

In the meantime, volunteer yourself at trials where you can learn a lot, meet people and make connections, and help out trial hosts who are generally looking for dedicated volunteers for the many jobs a trial entails. 

If you live anywhere near Lexington KY, the Bluegrass Classic SDT will be held May 18-22 and they are looking for volunteers at all levels of experience.