BC Boards

Border Collie snapping

We have a four and a half year old Border Collie bitch called Molly. We have had her since she was 10 weeks old and she is our 4th Border Collie. I took her to puppy classes and dog training and she is very obedient with all the basics, recall, sit/wait/stay etc, although it is still work in progress with lead pulling but that said she is nearly there with that. The problem that we have with her is that she does not like being dried if wet or brushed, despite the fact I took this very gently with her from the beginning, she will growl and pull away, she also occasionally will bear her teeth when we stroke her. She did this to me just recently after we had given her a really lovely walk ending with a ball game, put her in the back of the car with a drink and just gently gave her a little stroke and she growled and showed her teeth. She goes to a groomer where she is always 100 per cent fine, the groomer can also cuddle and kiss her with no problems at all. I feel very sad and upset about this as we have never laid a finger on her, we on occasions have used a firm voice as anyone would when necessary, but really we have revolved our life around her. We are actively retired so she gets to go to lovely places where she has a lot of free running etc, and is not left at home alone very often, and I just cannot understand where we have gone wrong. We never had any issues with our other previous dogs. I would be grateful for any advice on this. 
Thank you

Our first BC, Meg, did this.  She is the black and white dog in the photo.  Her coat texture was very fine, and I finally figured out that when she was stroked gently, static electricity was building up quickly and giving her a little shock.  It didn't happen all the time, but I think she expected it to happen and would win us off.  What is Molly's coat texture like and could this be the cause?

Kathy Robbins

That is very interesting, and something I wouldn't have thought of. Let us know if that turns out to be the culprit. I would like to know.

The other possibility is that she has something goin on that is a medical condition. I think if it doesn't turn out to be static electricity it would be advisable to have her checked at a vet to be sure.

D'Elle's mention of a medical condition reminded me that was the reason I first thought of.  Had she pulled a muscle, or was there a lump?  So just touched the spot where I was when Meg snapped and got no response at all.  It was the stroking gently that was the problem.  If there is a sore spot, you should get some kind of reaction when you touch it.  Let us all know how this turns out.

Kathy Robbins

I really do think that your mention of static electricity causing the problem seems highly likely as I was wearing gloves at the time of this happening, and thinking hard about it have experienced a little shock myself when taking the gloves off. During the last few days I have stroked her gently in the same place (at the side of her neck and chest) and she has been absolutely fine….I have been careful not to overdo it and have really only done it when she has come over to sit next to me and is looking for it. I will continue to monitor how this goes, as it could also be the reason she is not keen to be dried or groomed. Thank you again for your input it’s very helpful.