BC Boards

Finnegan's first time with sheep

Finnegan is now 11 months and is turning out to be one heck of a dog.  I took him out to the ranch where his mom is from for an instinct test a few weeks ago.  I videotaped it and uploaded it to YouTube.  I'm obviously a terrible videographer, but if you fast forward to around 3:30, it gets a little clearer.  For his first time, I think he showed a lot of potential.  I'll start more formal lessons with the handler over the next month or so.  Anyone see anything they'd like to comment on?

Thanks!

Daniel and Finn

Nice youngster.  You can see the wheels turning.  I like that he looks to the handler for a bit of advice/support.  He's got nice distance on his flanks and goes both ways equally well.  His confidence will come along.  The handler did everything right.   I'd wager you and Finn are in for a very fun partnership.  Keep the pupdates coming!

Amy

Thanks for your comments, amc.  I don't know a thing about herding except from what I've seen at the handful of trials I've been to and the few handlers I've spoken to, so I really appreciate your observations.  I'm especially grateful to hear that the handler was doing the right things.  That makes me feel better going back to him for some lessons.

Finn is typically a relatively hard-charging dog, so I was surprised to see how restrained he was around the sheep.  Like you said, his confidence will grow, and I bet it will grow quickly given his temperament.  

I can't wait to see how he develops!

Finn's got his genetics to help him, and a good place to learn.  The bigger challenge might be training YOU ;-)  But the journey is a very fun and rewarding one, I guarantee.  Good luck and enjoy!

Amy

I enjoyed watching this, both the beautiful dog and also the handler and what he did, and hope you keep us posted on how he does as you continue his training.

Some day I would like to be able to take a BC to do some sheep training. I took Jester for testing one time, and even that was great fun, and he did very well. but I was not able to continue with it as I would like to.  Maybe with my next BC. Just for fun, of course, but it would be fun.