BC Boards

Flies laying eggs on ears

Dana one

My female border collie has ears that stand up and we have been fighting the flies from laying eggs on her ears - until she had a litter of puppies we were able to spray her head with fly repellent - but it said to avoid using on lactating dogs. Her ears look really bad even though I have tried to wash the eggs off every day. Help!

OK that is weird. I thought my dog was the only one with that particular malady. It happened when we were living in West Texas, and I was severely grossed out. In Grace's case, however, it was her rump. We went to the vet and got a cortizone shot, some oral steroids and some sort of ointment. We shaved her butt :-P, gave her several medicated baths and generally followed the vets instruction. If you haven't been to the vet yet...do so. BTW: Grace now gets her butt shaved once a year (or more) - looks hilarious, but she now habitually chews her butt fur. The things we do for our dogs.

C

There used to be an ointment you could buy called vip fly ointment, you coated the ears with it. You could use it on lactating bitches. But maybe not now. What about Avon Skin so soft on the ears, that is pretty safe stuff.

I have used SWAT...a pink wound ointment that you can find with horse supplies. I can't say that I've seen fly eggs, but they sure do bite and leave crusty bloody ears. SWAT is far more effective than any spray or other ointment, I've found. It will last for several days. Your dog will sport punk rock pink ears that will gradually dirty to brown. It can leave a mess if the dog rubs up on things when it comes inside.

I can't say whether SWAT would be safe for a lactating bitch.

Elizabeth

I hope so, since I use it on lactating ewes!

I'm ordering pine tar from Premier, however. The flies have been just too much for Swat this year - I've got some kind of funky suicidal creature that goes right through it and makes big holes, yuck.

My poor guard dog looks like a prize fighter, his nose all bloody and swollen. He licks the Swat off. I'm hoping he will leave the pine tar alone.

Rebecca

We raised a litter of beagles for a friend two years ago, in August. Aside from very good sanitation, we hung up Farnam Trap and Toss fly traps. I used one for the 16 x 6 kennel area and it did a wonderful job attracting and trapping flys. They are relatively cheap and can more than likely be found in your local feed store. They are available online at any vet supply, (Jeffers, Valley Vet).

I use vasalene around the horses eyes. The flys hate it and if they land take right back off. Might try that on her ears. I've been using Bronco on my dogs ears but now that I think about it I might try the vasalene on them.

Kevin Brannon

I heard of something today at a family reunion that I am anxious to try.....

Take a handful of catnip (the herb), put in in cheese cloth and boil it in water. Let it cool, remove the catnip bag and use it as a spray for repelling flies.

I have catnip growing everywhere in my yard garden. So, since there is no investment....I will try it and report my findings to everyone.