BC Boards

Weight?

bree03

I'm having an extremely hard time putting weight on Bree, she's not very active at all(in fact she's pretty lazy)and she stays skinny. I feed her about 3 cups per day of Evergreen Professionals Choice, which is a meat and bone base, with hamburger meat and Calf-Mana. It's not like I'm too concerned about it because I've heard of border collies staying pretty trim but I was just wondering. So if there are any suggestions I would be glad to hear them. Thanks.

Bree03,

Provided she is healthy, I wouldn't worry about her putting on weight at this age. Most of my border collies have been thin and lanky from approx. 7 months to 2 yrs. At maturity, they tend to fill out, and look OK.

I have a little bitch that was bone thin. At 3 yrs. old, I just had her spayed. She's still thin, but might be filling out a little now.

I'd feed her her regular daily amount, 2X a day. (IOW, if her regular daily amount is 3c. a day, split that into two feedings). If you try to fill her out now, at this age, at maturity, you might wind up with a fatso on your hands and will be writing back asking how to knock the weight off your dog.

But, if you're really interested, I think Innova has the most calories per cup than most other dry foods.

Vicki

I wouldent worry about it, she is most likley just fine boned, happy is extremly fine boned, 21" tall and only 25lbs, totally full grown totally filled out. :eek: is she very narrow?? like tall, but looks very small?? most people see happy and think she is tiny and no possable way she is 21"(her brother is 21" but has a common build) just because she is fine boned, like does she just look narrow??