BC Boards

Gibbs has diabetes insipidus

urge to herd

A couple months ago he was drinking about 6 or more cups of water a day. That suddenly stopped and he went back to a more normal 3 cups a day, give or take a drop for the last several weeks. Got him to the vet, he took a urine sample and he's got the easier kind to treat, thank goodness. Diabetes mellitus is the kind where he'd need insulin injections. The insipidus kind he'll need drops in his eyes that replace(?) a hormone that he's missing, or needs more of. Maybe Amy and/or Ray can give more details about this disease.

I am so relieved to find out what's going on and that I don't have to give him injections or change his diet. He's 13 now and he's definitely slowed down. He spends most of his time sleeping. He got hooked on a new game, where I hide treats in the back yard and he gets to sniff them out. He LOVES it. We've got rain coming after Christmas, (fingers crossed) and he'll find those treats on the front deck, which is covered. Always something.

Will check in after I get the drops for him and see how that goes.

R & G

Sorry to hear this, Ruth, but hoping it's a comfort to know that a dog can live for a long time with diabetes of properly treated. As for shots, though, giving them is really easy so never a need to fret about the possibility that you might have to learn how to do it. ;)

Best wishes for Gibbs to have many more happy years with you.

Sounds as though the news, although not what you'd choose since perfect health would be preferable, is kind of a relief...not being something worse. I once thought Jester had diabetes insipidus, and it was the first time I'd heard of it, but turned out he didn't. I never heard of the drops in the eye as a way to give the medicine. He is lucky to have you to care for him and I wish happy years ahead for both of you.  At least as many as I had with my most recent border collies.....Jester lived to 16, Kit to 17. 

Central diabetes insipidus results from lack of AntiDiuretic Hormone (ADH) which is produced by the pituitary gland.  The treatment Gibbs' vet is prescribing is a synthetic analogue of ADH called desmopressin acetate.  Its effects last 10-12 hours after administration, so it's usually dosed twice a day.  Gibbs should show rapid symptom improvement after treatment starts.

Best of luck for excellent results and many more years with Gibbs!  <3