BC Boards

Teeth brushing

That's a mystery!! :wub: With Rylie we have begun to tackle it and it's going very well surprisingly. He loves the toothpaste and sees it as a treat. (Arm & Hammer Tarter Control Beef Flavor) I have the finger brushes as well as a toothbrush style similar to a regular toothbrush and with the paste on it, he licks at it and while he's doing that I can brush the front and backs sides. Haven't quite figured out yet how to easily get to the insides though and it is very hit and miss at this point. I figure if I keep at it though he will eventually pay no mind to the brushing and just enjoy the paste! Oh and I did find out the brush rather than the finger brushes work a lot easier but I think that is because of my clumsy use and keep getting bit accidentally. 

Try to find a tooth gel that has no flavor, or use one that has a flavor your dog likes. Go at it gradually, a little bit at a time, with lots of praise.

There are dental gels for dogs that you only have to rum on the teeth, and then leave there. Oratene is the one I use, and you can get it from a vet or online. Expensive, but lasts a long time and really works. It will soften any buildup that is already there and make it possible to flick the buildup off with your fingernail. It has no flavor.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:34 AM, D'Elle said:

Try to find a tooth gel that has no flavor, or use one that has a flavor your dog likes. Go at it gradually, a little bit at a time, with lots of praise.

There are dental gels for dogs that you only have to rum on the teeth, and then leave there. Oratene is the one I use, and you can get it from a vet or online. Expensive, but lasts a long time and really works. It will soften any buildup that is already there and make it possible to flick the buildup off with your fingernail. It has no flavor.

That's very good info. Thanks, I'll look into it.

Wow Molly looks alot like my BC. Very nice photo. And very good advice. I'll do the same, start at one second and work up from there. What do you put on the toothbrush? What about the inside of the teeth? Is that more difficult to do?  

I started by using Petrodex toothpaste, but I switched to Oratene after hearing about it on this forum and reading the Amazon reviews.  I put the Oratene on the brush and brush the outside of the teeth.  That seems to be where the tartar accumulates, and I think it would be too hard on the dog to try to open its mouth wide enough to do the inside.

Tropiclean makes a wedge shaped toothbrush that brushes both inner and outer tooth surfaces at the same time.

It's a bit bulky and awkward at first but it should make reaching both surfaces easier. The also make finger brushes.

My dogs all hated their Fresh Breath gel. They sell kits that include the toothbrush, a finger brush and the get packaged together. I wouldn't buy the kit again and will probably be donating the gel to someone else. None of my dogs would even taste it on their own.

Radius makes an Organic Canine Dental Gel made from coconut oil, sweet potato and cinnamon what's also free of any dyes, preservatives or chemicals. My doge were much more receptive to it and I like the ingredients.