BC Boards

Genetics

Miss Vixen

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about collie genotypes etc and I'm all confused lol. Are there any good sites or books to help out? 

I spent a few years researching various reptile genetics but I find dogs are so much harder to understand. 

From my understanding, a standard black and white collie would be  - BB? And black and white tri would be  - Kk?

I'm not even sure if that's right lol

52 minutes ago, Journey said:

Are you looking for health genetics or simply coat color? You might find the HEF website high;y informative for health aspects - https://bordercolliefoundation.org/

As for just color, sorry, can't help you there, color pretty well never factors into a working dog.

I’m looking more at coat colours and what you’d get crossing one genome to another etc

23 hours ago, GentleLake said:

You're looking for phenotypes (i.e. expressed observable traits) then, rather than genotypes.

I know there are websites out there with the information you're looking for, but these Boards aren't supportive of breeding for conformation, colors, etc.

I’m not looking into breeding etc, I just like the idea of researching and outcomes

I enjoy genetics too even though I loathe breeding for color.  You might try a search on coat color in Australian Shepherds.  Aussies have more "standard" colors than border collies, so that may interest you.  Australian shepherd people had much the same power struggle with the AKC as border collie people did, but lost the fight to keep the breed out of AKC earlier than the border collie breeders did.  As my working Aussie friends say, beware the hair dogs and barbie collies!

22 hours ago, Michael Parkey said:

I enjoy genetics too even though I loathe breeding for color.  You might try a search on coat color in Australian Shepherds.  Aussies have more "standard" colors than border collies, so that may interest you.  Australian shepherd people had much the same power struggle with the AKC as border collie people did, but lost the fight to keep the breed out of AKC earlier than the border collie breeders did.  As my working Aussie friends say, beware the hair dogs and barbie collies!

Thank you :)