BC Boards

Puppy who doesn't like the water's edge

Has anyone had experience with a BC that was afraid of the water's edge?  I took my 7 month old puppy walking on a beach surrouding a large flatwater lagoon (no waves), and he was completely resistant to going within fifteen feet of the water.  He had no issue walking on a low floating dock.

We are avid boaters and have taken him on multi day small boat trips twice at about 3 and four months.  While he had never wanted to enter in the water, he had no issue walking near the water then.  He also had no issue with jumping from the boat into a kayak, although did have two episodes when he missed, ended up in the water, and was quickly pulled out.  I'm not sure if that is what scarred him to the water.  

Thoughts on this?  Is it better to work on desentization now, or just wait until he is older and generally less timid?  I don't care if he wants to play in the water or loves the beach, but as a person who likes the water, would at least like him to be able to walk and run with me there without being fearful.

I'd suggest just working very gently and slowly on desensitization. don't really make it a project, just let him come as close as he wants to the water, however many feet or yards away that is, and then walk along the edge at his comfort distance with lots of treats and praise.  Let him decide when he wants to get closer, and if he does celebrate with lots more treats and praise.  It's probable that falling into the water is a major factor in causing this, so maybe it would be best that you not take him in the boat until he gets over this, so as to not run any risk of making this worse. It may take weeks or even months for him to relax about it, but just be patient.  If you absolutely have to take him in the boat for some reason, make sure he is carried and don't ask him to jump in. But best to avoid that for now until he's more comfortable with the water.

He's at an age where he may be going through a fear period. I'd just keep taking him around water when you can and being totally nonchalant about walking near it and even going in it yourself. He may come out of it on his own.

That said, I've had a couple of border collies who were reluctant to enter the water for a while. Once they got over it they loved it, one to the point of obsession to where he wouldn't come out. :rolleyes:

Agree with both GentleLake and D'Elle on being patient. I do believe he was too young to try to jump between watercraft and falling into the water has made him super cautious, but there is no reason why he can not become comfortable around water again with appropriate desensitization, but it may take a while.