BC Boards

what colour is sadie??

is she a red merle or a sable merle?

sadie.jpg

she belongs to a lady on another forum and we would like to know!

her father was a red merle bc and her mother is a tricolour bc x whippet though i dont see the whippet myself! (we are also trying to decide, without the aid of pictures if mum was a tri or a sable!).

or is she something else? whatever she is i am seriously in love with this dog!

I would say a red merle but (it might just be a shadow) it looks like there are some black spots on the hair tips. Still, I think red merle.

I don't even know if there is such thing as a Sable merle though. This is what I think of as sable (these are both BCs):

fawn2.jpg

finn.jpg

i cant find another piccie yet, but after sending her to go and look at the colours in the border collie museum thingy, she is now definate that mum was a sable not a tri. dont know if that makes any difference!

not that its really important, just one of those things that once you start to wonder you really want to know :rolleyes::D

Sable merle is possible, but Sadie is not sable. Compare the pigment of her nose to that of the two sables Kat's Dogs posted. Red (liver) dogs have pink to brownish nose and eyelid pigment.

It would be very interesting to see border collies of this color, but here's some aussies and a complete discussion of the mechanics behind this color.

http://www.ashgi.org/color/sable_aussies.htm

While on the topic of colour, what do you call a dog that's basically patterned like a tri, but instead of tan markings he has brindle? I can't find anything like Lightning's colour anywhere. I've seen both tri and brindle listed, but not a bridled tri. He's got the eyebrow spots, brindling on his cheeks, on either side of the white on his chest, some on the inside of his front legs, and lots more up the inside of his back legs. He is a mix breed, but we know for sure that his dad's a purebred BC and his mom is supposed to be BC/Lab, but she looks very labby. She came from a pet supply/feed store that takes in unwanted litters of puppies to adopt out, so it's possible that there could be something else in the mix. I've got pictures of him in the gallery, in the thread "caption these" and also "right at home on my bed". There were also a whole bunch I posted a while back with him dogsledding and jumping through a tire jump.

Originally posted by silhouettestable:

While on the topic of colour, what do you call a dog that's basically patterned like a tri, but instead of tan markings he has brindle?

I would call him tri. I have seen plenty of tris with brindling but have never heard them referred to as anything but tri.

Donna,

The dog in your photo is a red merle, IMO, though the definition of red may even be Aussie red rather than US red (liver).

J.

Guest *120dogz120*

That is definetly red merle, there isn't any sable in that. It might be tan merle, but I don't no if that is a color.I found it in a collie colors book. :rolleyes: