BC Boards

Our 1st competition is tomorrow! Not Agility, Obedience, or Flyball related

Val first competition is tomorrow and I’m super excited. We join a local disc dog club that was just recently created this year. So far it has been fun. We are about mid level on our team. I would love to get into Up dog or Skyhounds but we are currently doing Toss and Fetch Disc dog.

Val posing next to our disc. I tried to get a variety since I wasn’t sure which ones he would like or I would like. 

I probably won’t have a video or get pictures during the competition since I’m going solo but I’m excited regardless. My only concern is this is outside during midday heat. I’m worried about Val being too hot. 

B1F7EB5E-895A-48D1-A658-E79990EF7389.jpeg

Val did really well. I’m super proud of him. We had 2 rounds. Each round was 1 minute long. He earn 16-17 points. It was between 75-80*F outside. I was worried about him overheating . We stayed in the shade. Had plenty of water. After his first turn we walked down to a pond to cool off. Val did think it was beyond stupid he had to wait his turn to play. He was pretty sure all turns should be his. :lol: He was happy when he discovers the field had frogs. I also gave him a tennis ball to occupy himself with between turns.

At one point another dog who was competing decided to run over to Val with her disc. Val looked really confused like wait are you trying to say I can play now. Val has been attacked by other dogs so can be iffy with other dogs running up to him or greeting when he is leashed.

F7C0D78B-6E59-452E-84BB-0F6C79713A60.jpeg

I live in Australia and have been competing in agility, with a mostly black dog.  In Australia, most agility competitions are outside and during spring/summer or autumn(fall), with temperatures often reaching into the 30 degrees Celsius range, which is 86 degrees Fahrenheit.  A lot of competitors here use cooling coats for their dogs, between runs.  May be something for you too look into?

Sounds like you both had a lot of fun, which is great.

Val has his 2nd competition yesterday. I’m really proud with how he handle himself. 
round 1: he got 3 points and then I threw the frisbee over the fence so blew the rest of the round. :ph34r:

round 2: he got 11 points

The weather was amazing for June. Legit 65*f and partial cloudy. We all were given areas to stick in under the shade. Val was kind of smack dab in the middle. He had a border collie on either side. One who thought he looked like the funnest dog since balls were invented. We had an ACD in front of us and an GSD diagonal to us. Val can be worried about ACD since one attacked him a couple time but today he was unfazed. The ACD decided the GSD was the devil incarnated and decided it was his duty to try to put the GSD in his place. So the ACD is growling and snarling at the dog in front of us. The GSD just ignored him. I kept Val attention on me and Val was able to keep his cool. The owner took the ACD father away until his turn then came back. Once the ACD had his turn he was wayyy calmer and collected. 
We did come early to help set up and stay late to help tear down. Both times Val was “near” the Australian Shepherd who had ran up to him at one of our practice however both were on leash and Val was far enough away where he didn’t need to interact if he didn’t want to. So Val kept to his area. Even when we were done I let Val off leash a little. The Australian Shepherd was still on leash. Val kept his distance from the aussie. I had to leash him when we got closer to the dog yard since we currently compete at a doggy daycare. Val did get grumbly when the aussie tried to sniff his butt but he grumble the aussie backed off and that was it. 

*ACD Australian Cattle Dog

*GSD German Shepherd 

Val did awesome this last weekend. :D To be honest I think he is amazing regardless what he does. :wub:  This last Saturday it was around 85-90*f and sunny. Our first round we had a couple bad time throws but he earn 5.5 points and round 2 he earn 10.5 with a total points of 16. 
I hoping we can earn 22 points the next 2 Saturday each Week. 
He is really getting into disc. I know we are still noobs but I can’t wait till we improve more. I have been really interested in UpDogs and Skyhounds but didn’t think we were at that level yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Our summer competition for the K9 Toss and Fetch Disc dog was complete as of July 5th.

In our club we finished 3rd place with a total of 72 points. He was amazing. We only got like 16 points the last two weekend. Here is a video of one of our throws. I’m still so stoked we finally have a disc dog club here. While I love border collie I also love watching  the other breeds play.  There are a ton of impressive breeds out there competing.
Will upload our “winning” picture. 

• 4 months later...

That looks really fun and looks like Val did great! I know very little about the sport but want to learn more as I am just beginning to explore areas to see what might interest Rylie. I've done agility and tracking before but not sure where Rylie's interest might be. He LOVES water so plan to look into dock diving next summer as there is a club nearby. It will be fun to watch your progress here on the forum too! And congratulations on his latest events!! 

• 2 weeks later...

We are currently competing in the winter K9 Toss and Fetch competition. Same team but with more participation! 

We changed locations which helped out. My throws kept going over a fence making my round get forfeit in the fall competition. My throws are getting a little better. I’m starting to throw more in the 3 point range and getting closer to the 5 point range. I’m also getting better about NOT letting the timer get to me. I was surprised how much it was stressing me out in the fall competition. I started practicing with the timer and it helped me out a TON! Even still I have to tell myself to ignore the time and focus on where you are throwing. I typically will make a focus point at the far end on the field and throw towards that point. 
Valek is amazing and really really enjoys it. I have been having to get on his case since he sometimes anticipated the time “Go” prior to the go and starts running. :D

Week 3 was our best week yet! I don’t know what happen but round one we were on fire. 

93D3F518-C685-4E6F-B61A-2602B4BB03E1.jpeg

C12E7122-D589-487A-BE00-49DA294FE0CE.jpeg

94120438-ED63-41AD-A5E3-D284BD355F23.jpeg

That looks like so much fun! I absolutely love the action shots!

Maybe I should try it again. We don’t have competition here, but still could be fun. But first I’ll have to learn how to throw a frisbee :P (really it’s embarrassing)

23 hours ago, SS Cressa said:

Valek is amazing and really really enjoys it. I have been having to get on his case since he sometimes anticipated the time “Go” prior to the go and starts running. :D

Ahh those darn smart dogs with their anticipating! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Last week of our winter competition and competition for 2020. Valek did amazing. I kind of wish we would have sinc more. 
week 1: 18.5 points

week 2: 7.5 points

week 3: 27 points

week 4: 7.5 points

week 5: 9.5 points

we are kind of all over the place with points. I’m glad to know we have potential to do better. Not quite sure how Covid will impact 2021 frisbee competition. I’m glad we have a disc club locally tho. 

6F3DC0C7-5599-429B-984B-DE2423753026.jpeg

FA53F2B9-A37F-4536-BB49-F300E703CC7E.jpeg

D6CA9FE0-58FD-46CA-AB6F-4CEEB07750FB.jpeg

6DAB0805-8036-4F97-B0C2-43A66BAD395E.jpeg