BC Boards

barf and detox

sunnyrocks

My dog Pike is going through detox. Just like my research showed he is manifesting it through his skin like when he had the food allergies. Does anyone have experience with this and can tell me about how long he will go through this? I feel so bad for him, he is scratching like crazy.

Are you giving Probiotic powder?,Sometimes they have a reaction to that.Some dogs go through detox,for a couple months,some don't.Your diet is only a week or two old so give it time.What is your typical menu morning and night?And most of all-is kibble totally out of your house or do they still get that.But mainly many who feed raw would like to know your typical menu.And yes,itchy or shedding is common in the eginning and then you'll be surprisd at the coat that appears is nothing like kibble feeder think they ave experienced.

Sue Barta

also two good discussion groups to join are at www.egroups.com and join rawfeeding and bcs4raw

No I am not giving them any kind of supplements. I give them Science Diet Sensitive skin in the morning (although Pike usually doesn't eat it), then I take it away and in the afternoon I give them chicken backs, necks and wings. I also give an egg a couple of times a week. One day I give something like ox tail. I also give organ meats once a week. I put garlic and olive oil on the meat.

I intend to stop kibble completely as soon as I can work out how to keep enough raw meat for a week for 4 dogs! My husband doesn't like how little room I have left for him in the fridge! Plus I bought a juicer this weekend and I am

going to start making veggie patties for them. I am just in awe at how good they look and how good they feel. Pike, he's around 13, yesterday when I got home he was running around and jumping and having a wonderful time! Hachii's arthritis doesn't seem to be bothering him either! All of their teeth are white!

Hey, I am just very happy with my results so far!

With the veggie patties you'll find they don't have to be given everynight with ground meat.As far as supplements what I did the first few months was give Berte's Zyme before each raw meal to help with the change.It's a digestive enzyme found at www.b-natural.com and I also ordered Probiotic powder and Berte's Daily Blend(vitamin blend) for my own comfort.You can find cheap freezers to get for bulk ordering meat and to find great meat deals--1.find out who the meat wholesaler is that supplies your city meat markets with their meat or 2.start asking on the internet barf groups about any "co op" groups in your state.I found mine here once when someone emailed and said"in your state there is Midwest BarfBuyers".What a godsend.40lb.case of backs goes for $9,40lb case of wings-$12.

Sue Barta

bartasborders@webtv.net

I paid $14 for 29lbs of chicken backs from Publix. I do like how it comes prepackaged with 4 in each pack. I do like your price better!!!

My local butcher doesn't carry chicken backs.

Do you just sprinkle the powder on the food? I think I am going to order some!

Thanks for your great suggestions!

teri

The way I started was give in a.m.one Berte's Zyme before breakfast.Breakfast is usually one chicken back or two(depending on each dog).And at night they get approximately 3/4 cup-1 cup ground meat/chicken with veggies in it or if not veggies,whatever I feel like adding(eggs,cottage cheese,fish or left over dinner).Sometimes molasses,sometimes wheatgerm-I just wing it everyday(you'll learn).As far as the vitamin supplements I add 1/2 teaspoon Salmon Oil from http://store.yahoo.com/alpha-nutrition/purnovscotwil.html because I found this place was more economical then others.I myself give Salmon Oil daily and maybe Berte's Vitamin Blend every other day.I add to ground meat or sprinkle on RMBS.In the beginnng last year I gave vitamins,yogurt and probiotics daily and later realized it was o.k. to stretch out and give every other day or so.I mean after all,some don't give supplements at all.But my comfort level is at least give 3-4 times a week.And yes,down in Miami there is a co op barfbuyers group.If yo want I'll ask for the link somewhere. on the lists.

Sue Barta

Okay, I printed out the list. So I can buy my meat from any one of these places? Unfortunately only one is anywhere near my section of Miami (south, by the keys) but it would be worth a drive to save money. Even though driving down here is an extreme exercise in self preservation!

ter