BC Boards

BC pup weight

Tozer

Hi Everyone,

I have a 9 month old BC called Fozzy Dog.

He's a great pet and huge part of the family. I am however a little concerned about his size. My sister owns a BC who is much smaller and lighter than Foz. 

At 9 months (tomorrow) he weighs 23kg (50.7lbs).

He's slim and we walk around 5 miles a day so he gets plenty of exercise and I certainly wouldn't say he's overweight. 

Has anyone owned a BC quite as big as him, and when is he likely to achieve his full adult size and weight?

Hi, and welcome to the Boards.

Fozzy Dog's a big border collie, but not the largest I've encountered by any means. One I bred many years ago was a lean but healthy 70 pounds at one year of age.

At 9 months old, Fozzy's likely done the bulk of his growing. He may put on a couple, three pounds as he continues to mature, but by a year old it will be very little more assuming he doesn't become overweight.

Years ago I saw a full grown bc who was at least 50 lbs. He looked huge to me! From what I've read here and on a few other sites the range of weight/height is pretty wide in border collies. Is your sister's dog a male or female? In general male dogs tend to be larger than females. I had a girl dog who was quite petite, I think her top weight was around 30 lbs. My boy dogs have always been larger than the girls.

As long as he's healthy I wouldn't be concerned.

Ruth & Gibbs 

I have four boy dogs who range from 21kgs to around 25kgs, none of whom are overweight (judging by body score - can feel ribs easily, clear waist from above, good tuck from the side).  Do not worry too much about weight, judge body score!

The dog in my profile pic was tall and long - his perfect weight was 25.5kgs.

Update on my above comment.  All four dogs had vet visits and weigh ins yesterday.  One was 21.1kgs (46.51lbs) and he is a healthy weight by body score but definitely smaller than my other dogs.  The next was 23kgs (50.7lbs) and the last two, who are father and son, were 26.2kgs (57.76lbs) and 26kgs (57.32lbs).  All of them got the clean bill of health from the vet, and strong approval in relation to their weight from the vet, who owns a border collie herself, and was very happy with their tuck, waist and her ability to feel ribs.

For information, the smallest dog is around 2 and a half years old.  The 23 kg dog is 6 years old.  The father and son are nearly 8 and 4 years.

I would think your dog may end up around 23-25kgs as a full adult, which was about the same size as my Oscar.  Oscar was a large dog, and in agility he jumped the highest jump height because he was tall (by one millimetre over the limit!).  This height he shared with viszlas, golden retrievers, dobermans etc.  BCs can be quite large, or very petite.

My youngest weighs 23kg and my oldest between 26-28kg both slim and in good shape, they are actually a similar height but the youngest one is built like a giraffe all legs, while the older one more closely resembles a tank! Locally in agility I am known as the person with the oversized border collies! I have had 3 large ones and one normal 40lb sized one.