BC Boards

Seeking advice about companion animals for border collie.

I have a 2 year old border collie and I recently had a change in my work hours resulting in me being away from the apartment for longer during the week. While I’ve made sure she still gets the same amount of exercise on my workdays (30 min run in the morning, hour walk in the evening) I’ve noticed she been getting a bit more clingy when I am home. I live alone and am wondering if getting another animal would help her? I am reluctant to get another dog of any breed since I’d like to continue to use my free time exercising and training her but I was wondering if anyone has adopted a cat as a companion animal to a border collie? When I first got her, my roommate at the time had two older cats and she lived with them for about a year with no issues.

Getting another animal, especially a different species, as a companion for the one you have is a very tricky proposition. There is no guarantee they will like each other and even if they do, that they will be companionable. Since you express reluctance to get another animal at all, it seems inadvisable. Try working on new things in your training, and maybe try a few interesting toys she can use to occupy her. Nothing takes the place of being with you, of course, but you might be able to find toys she likes to play with when alone.

If you are reluctant to get a second animal I wouldn't get one. I have a cat and a dog and they tolerate each other, I wouldn't call them friends. They mostly ignore each other. 
I don't think it makes staying at home alone for my dog any easier. I think it does make a difference for the cat to have the dog around when I'm not there, because the cat is happy with just someone in the house. But my dog just wants to be with me and doesn't care about the cat. 

The best thing you can do to help your dog is to not feel sorry for her. I've noticed that makes a lot of difference for how my dog acts after I get home. She is a lot calmer and less clingy when I just act as if this is the way the world works. When I feel guilty I think she just wants me to feel better and gets a bit unsure of what to do. Which results in a dog that wants to sit in my lap constantly :P 

If you don’t want a 2nd animal don’t get one. They are a commitment by themselves and would also require their own care.

Saying that my border collie has been best friends with a cat. I would joke that the cat wasn’t my critter but his since they clicked from day 1. My other cat they get along with but the cat depends on my dogs more then my dogs enjoy her. 

I would just give her Kong’s or puzzles treats. Also if you can afford you can also hire a dog walker. 

• 1 month later...

Our old man BC, Kip, arrived into a household that already had a cat.  He and cat were fast friends, because cat was bombproof.  That cat passed on, and new hire cat never became confident enough to hang out with Kip.  (Cat would look like he was TRYING not to look nervous around Kip but always failed, then Kip would start staring, and the cat would look MORE nervous....)