BC Boards

vaccinate debate

coastisclear

I am getting the 4 rounds for puppies push from my vet.I have a 5 1/2 mos old, was vaccinated parvo/distemper at 10 wks and 20 wks and will have rabies at 6 mos. She is fed raw with Dr. Harveys immune boost and in GREAT condition all around. My other 5 BCs went throught the 4 rounds ok and have titer counts checked every year..all are GREAT.. but due to recent reading I have done, I REALLLY do not want to put her through it..I want to titer her first. Has anyone else had this debate with pups?? How far should I push this??

You have to do what you feel is right for your dogs, and not what the vet thinks you should do.

I get my puppies done at 7, 10 and 13 weeks for parvo, distemper and Adenovirus2 only, and then at about 16 weeks I get Rabies only. After that my dogs only get Rabies every three years. My vet doesn't agree with my protocol, but they are my dogs and this is what I feel most comfortable with. The Canadian vets are still pushing for yearly vaccines for everything, and haven't come on board with the recommendations coming out of the States by all the vet colleges that about

vaccinating every three years instead of yearly.

we had the same debate, shadow, got all her shots through a lady my dad worked with. neither perky nor Ripley have gotten a rabies vacc, happy did, and she is now ruined, i cant do anything with her and she is a border collie, they need to do something, I ow it to the rabies vacc, that she will never be able to do that, as it made her frightend of absoulutly everything, just going in a building that is not home and she gets an eye infection(how she shows she is stressed) be around one person she did not gro wup with and she freaks, it litterally took her YEARS to learn that my best friend would not hurt her. :eek: we will NOT go through that again(it is a fairly commen reaction beleive it or not)so misty got one killed parvo shot(their is only one where I am if your wonderin)and unless their is a rabies outbreak, ther is zippo Rabies shots for my puppers anymore ours just get titers we dont revax either, they are really healthy on raw diets(happy was on kibble at the time )

I haven't heard anything yet from my vet about vaccinating only every 3yrs. I know that when I worked for them they didn't like to administer the 3yr rabies vaccine. Money was NOT the issue as clients paid the same for the 3 year vax as they did for 3 years worth of yearly vax. They really want to see the pet at yearly intervals so they can do health check ups and routine things like HW, fecals, etc.

I've seen literally thousands of dogs and cats get their vaccinations and have never seen a rabies vaccine cause a dog to go mentally off. I have seen many temporary "shot knots" and in puppies less than 3 months old I don't like to use the lepto vaccine because it tends to make them very sore, but I do give lepto at 12 and 16 weeks without problem.

I think if you're comfortable with having a titer pulled every year or so to check immunity levels then thats perfectly fine. Most healthy adult dogs don't come down with the diseases included in the vaccine anyway, whether they've been vaccinated or not. The biggest concern is puppies and seniors. Rabies would be the only problem because of state laws. Just have to be careful there.

By the way, how much are you guys paying for titers?

Originally posted by dot me not:

[QB] "I haven't heard anything yet from my vet about vaccinating only every 3yrs. "

I have several protocol recommendations bookmarked that is now recommending vaccinations every three years. I can send them to you if you wish.