BC Boards

"Old Dog" Vestibular Syndrome

My old gal, Senneca, "celebrated" her official 15th birthday by getting another bout of the wobbles. She had one almost two years ago and scared the heck out of me, but it cleared up after some days and besides a residual head tilt, she was back  to normal. This time, it seemed worse; I had to help her to stand up and wobbled around almost helpless, initially. Amazingly, this time she is coming out of it much faster. Just 24hrs after it happened, she was walking, slowly and carefully, without tumbling and this morning managed an almost normal morning walk -- at reduced pace, for sure, but without any problems. I have been using her harness to give support and assistance going up and downstairs, but this morning, as I went up to my home office, I gave her a "Stay!" command, but the stubborn old lady, decided to ignore it. She manged the stairs on her own and plopped outside my office; her normal place when I am working from home. She is not ready to lie down and be counted out just yet. These dogs continue to amaze me.

This is a bit of a challenge as the video was too large and I have had to convert the format, but if it actually works, this Senneca, back in 2008, shortly after we adopted her together with our youngest daughter.

OK, it's not going to upload: here's a link:  Dancing dog

and this is her, yesterday still a bit wobbly, but enjoying some fresh air.

P1060692.thumb.jpg.cfe8105d2b9945fb032b3eed355ee4a5.jpg

We've shared 13 years of life together. I am grateful for each and every day.

Edited by JohnLloydJones
embeded video didn't work

Happy birthday! :lol: if you can get your girl to “follow” a command lmk. Cressa has decided rules don’t apply since she can’t hear me anymore unless there is something in it for her if she listens. 

32 minutes ago, SS Cressa said:

Happy birthday! :lol: if you can get your girl to “follow” a command lmk. Cressa has decided rules don’t apply since she can’t hear me anymore unless there is something in it for her if she listens. 

I have always used gestures together voice command, so Senneca knows both. Her "Stay!" has been really solid for most of her life; it's only now that she is beginning to be a bit slack

I have been using gestures also but sometimes she will look at you and still choose to do something else. I can’t even mad she is at the age where rules don’t necessarily apply.

21 hours ago, SS Cressa said:

I have been using gestures also but sometimes she will look at you and still choose to do something else. I can’t even mad she is at the age where rules don’t necessarily apply.

Yeah, the old ladies can get really stubborn, but you're right, they somehow have the license to get away with it.

At a certain point, I stop bothering to enforce cues or rules with older dogs unless it's something genuinely important for their safety  like don't get out of the car until I tell you to. I guess I just want to let them have their old age being able to make their own choices more, and without being controlled too much, kinda like I want my old age to be! :P