BC Boards

How is everyone doing these days?

D'Elle

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GL....so sorry to hear about your Mom. Not to be able to see her must have been excruciating.

2020 is surely one of the worst years in modern times.

Amy -- very glad to hear that you are doing Ok in spite of everything. I have a friend who lives on land east of Salem, OR and he has been evacuated from his home, gone back now and is starting to clean up. House spared but much else destroyed, no power to the whole area.

I talked to a friend in Portland who is wearing a mask 24 hours a day and was still coughing a great deal while on the phone with me. 

I am amazed that the smoke has traveled all the way to the east coast, but of course the winds just keep going. I remember seeing ash from Mt. St. Helens' eruption  in Nebraska. (Mt. St. Helen being east of Seattle)

All we can do is hang in there. Maybe at some point things will get better in one way or another, although the general climate changes on the planet suggest that the human species is about to go into a decline. I suspect we are seeing the beginning of the end in that respect. 

Everybody:  Vote!

• 4 months later...

Please excuse me while I brag on my employer.  Here is part of a press release from my employer on products we developed with NIAID (Dr Fauci’s department) to measure the antibodies against SARS-CoV-2:

Operation Warp Speed (OWS) has chosen as the basis of its standard binding assays for immunogenicity assessments in all funded Phase III clinical trials of vaccines.”

Our product was and is being used for several vaccines being tested and data has been published for Moderna’s and AstraZeneca’s vaccines using our product.

42 minutes ago, Mark Billadeau said:

Please excuse me while I brag on my employer.  Here is part of a press release from my employer on products we developed with NIAID (Dr Fauci’s department) to measure the antibodies against SARS-CoV-2:

Operation Warp Speed (OWS) has chosen as the basis of its standard binding assays for immunogenicity assessments in all funded Phase III clinical trials of vaccines.”

Our product was and is being used for several vaccines being tested and data has been published for Moderna’s and AstraZeneca’s vaccines using our product.

What an odd coincidence you'd post this!  I'll be putting your product to use at 2:00pm today, when I get some bloodwork done for the 1 month follow up to my second AstraZeneca shot.  (I sure hope I got the real thing, but I probably won't know for a while -- either when my spot comes up for an approved vaccine, or when they unblind the AZ trial).

Re-read from the beginning. I have been more optimistic since the vaccines started their trials. Just heard from my HMO that vaccines are scarce at this point. When I first heard from them re:vaccine availability they were going to start vaccinating people who are 65 yrs and older, of course along with first responders, medical personnel, etc. Last week I got an email stating that the vaccine supply is smaller than expected, so they are pushing the age restriction higher ~ 75 yrs and older. So I'm not getting one for a while.

Gibbs and I are doing well, all in all. We had a big storm come through last night, blew some trees down and other damage. No floods or mudslides that I've heard of yet.  And another storm on it's way tonight. Life keeps us on our toes.

Good to catch up!

R&G

That's terrific, Mark.  Be justifiably proud.  I am looking forward to the day when we can routinely do antibody titers to better assess vaccine and natural immunity. 

I'm getting my second Moderna shot today - hope it doesn't lay me out for too long a stretch :)  Had a sore arm and redness for a couple of days from the first one.

Amy

I am grateful to those who have worked hard to get the vaccine out to the public. Three of my family members contracted the disease, including a brother who spent 11 days in intensive care. I’m waiting for the vaccine to be available to my cohort. My daughter (teacher) got her first shot yesterday.

• 6 months later...

I have managed to get fully vaccinated with Pfizer in Australia, which has a chronic shortage of vaccines due to our government betting on A-Z and then having to limit its use to over 60s due to rare blood clots, but we are apparently due to have Moderna approved any day now, and have a supply coming, which is really happily anticipated.

There is a big problem here with vaccine supply in a country which traditionally has 95%+ vaccination rates as a nation.  Lots of emphasis in the news about vaccine hesitancy, but we would be more vaccinated if there was a supply...

I have heard a lot about hesitancy in the USA; I am hoping things resolve for you.