BC Boards

Diabetes

Irish Collie

I adopted Jess three years ago and there was no sign of mistreatment. She was about 3 when we got her and settled in well. We did agility for over a year and we both enjoyed it. She managed to tear a muscle in a front leg and was treated. She then hurt a back leg and had to have x-rays under general anaesthetic, this turn out to be a torn ligament. Within a week she started drinking excessive amounts of water and peeing just as much. She became quite ill and was detained at the vets. She was put on antibiotics and her health showed good signs of improvement apart from her drinking issues. She has been diagnosed with Insipidis Diabetes and has been prescribed Desmopressin Acetate 0.2mg, one a day. If these work she will always be on them. She is visibly happy, loves her walks and toys. Eating well, no sickness or weight loss. I am wondering what triggered this problem or was it coincidence it was just after a general anaesthetic. Is there anything else I can do for her in the future. The insurance won't last for ever, so what is the best way to buy her tablets. The first box of 90 was £225.  Thank you for reading.  

25.02 001.JPG

102.JPG

A friend of mine just posted on Facebook about their dog with diabetes. Is your dog intact? Apparently female hormone fluctuations can be a culprit. In that case, spaying  the dog resolved the issue. 

Under treatment diabetic dogs can lead normal lives. Are you checking her blood glucose regularly?

J.

Thanks for reply. She was done when I got her, she is still under the vets and they have asked me to check the urine thickness. Seems very happy, no accidents, pees at every lamp-post like all dogs. Will submit urine on Monday. Still need the best way to buy the med's. Regards and keep safe.

I am sorry I don't have experience or specific advice on this. But I am writing to encourage you. Years ago I had to treat one of mine for chronic renal failure and the cost of giving fluids daily was sky high. I didn't have that kind of money, so I  got really persistent and determined to find a way I could do it for less. It took probably a hundred phone calls, maybe 20 emails, and some personal visits but eventually within a few weeks I figured out how to get everything at prices I could afford. Ordered some online, got some in person from a specific business I never would have found without constant effort, got some others at a pharmacy that worked a deal with me after I talked with them. It can be done if you are willing to be persistent enough. You have a beautiful dog, and I wish you the best of luck.