BC Boards

New to this

Hello I'm new here finding my way around. I adopted a handsome lavender boy and am so happy with him. Clyde(cuz that's the only name he answers to) came to me from a cage, what I'd call a puppy mill of 43 BCs used just to make puppies. Clyde is 4 yrs old and gorgeous. Seems he had no idea what a leash was, and just stares at me when I toss a ball or frisbee. All he wants is love and to cuddle. I succeeded with the collar and leash in only one week. He's so very smart and loyal. He lives with me in the pines of East Tx. Just me and Clyde. In my fenced front and back country home, I notice he wants to herd my little granddaughters and is very good at it. He has never had any training of any kind. He would be a perfect working dog given his nature. Besides just being with him, how do I keep him happy and busy?

Hi there,

How did you get this dog? Was the puppy mill closed down and a border collie rescue took the dogs and adopted them out?

I am glad the dog you got is not shut down, and is affectionate with you, as that will make all the work you do with him much easier.  I would, however, caution you that his "herding" the grandchildren is not any indication of actual working ability. Many different dog breeds or mixes will behave like that and it's not really herding. In fact, I would not advise that you encourage that behavior, as it can lead to obsession and other behavior you don't want. (ie: most adults would not find it amusing at all).

Border collies that come from a background such as you describe will have been bred for color only, or perhaps more indiscriminately than that, and the vast majority of the time cannot actually work stock. Working stock requires very careful breeding for that trait alone, which is how border collies really should be bred. Of course, if you took in a rescue from a shut-down puppy mill you are to be applauded.

. How to keep him happy is just find out, through trying things, what he likes the best. Tug? Fetch? Just walking? If he has no idea what a toy is, and this is likely because he never had a chance to play, you can teach him how to fetch or tug. You can teach him to find a toy you have hidden. You can teach him tricks. All training, is done correctly, is play and fun for the dog so teach him things. From what you say it seems he will be good at learning things, and that is the best way to cement your bond and to keep him happy. Best of luck with him.

People that ran a BC kennel no longer wanted to take care of the dogs, closed, and moved away. They dealt out the dogs to anyone that would take them or gave them up to the shelter. A friend brought Clyde over as help to these people.  We bonded immediately. Clyde likes the chickens too never trys to harm them just watched over them. He's a great joy :)

I also want to know if I should neuter him. He's free to run within the perimeter of our place. He's secure here. I'm here all the time. I'd also like you to know that in my search to find out about the people Clyde is coming from found out about them on your website. The comments were very negative about how these folks treat dogs. Thank you so very much those comments helped make my decision but Clyde himself sealed the deal

I don't think anyone here's ever going to fault you or anyone else for taking a dog from a situation like that! Buying from a So-called "breeder" if that ilk's another story. Thank you for giving Clyde a loving home.

Neutering's up to you. More and more science is recognizing that hormones are important to a dog's health and some people are choosing either to leave their dogs intact or opt for vasectomies and ovary-sparing spays when they can find vets who offer them. If you feel you can keep him from contributing to any oops litters, then by all means leave him intact. If it ends up becoming an issue then my preference would be for a vasectomy over a castration if you can find someone to do it. OTOH, he's already 4 so if you do have to go with castration, he's done with his growth and maturation so it wouldn't be as big a deal as if it'd been done earlier.

I've had intact dogs of both sexes and had no problems preventing unwanted pregnancies. Some people find it more difficult. Use your best judgement here.

Thank you so very much, I worried that a procedure like that without a good reason would change him, maybe even make him mad at me :) I think now, that Clyde will keep being sweet Clyde in all his natural glory and we'll live happily ever after ❤️

IME dogs rarely hold grudges and as much as we underestimate what they do and do not understand, I really don't think they'd understand that we were the cause of their desexing and/or be angry with us about it. ;)

I do, however, believe that they know when they've been rescued and show their appreciation for it. :wub: