BC Boards

Underweight border collie puppy

NewCollieMum

Hi, My 16 week border collie Quincy looks quite underweight. He's fed alot and I use cheese as treats which is quite fattening but I can't seem to get him to put on weight. He's thin enough that you can clearly see all his ribs but not his backbone. I was wondering if this is normal for his age? Also what foods can I give him to help him put on weight? 

He's currently fed 300g of raw meat (including bones and liver), 300g of white rice and veg, 1 cup of dog biscuits and a small amount of cheese. Per day.

Are you sure he's actually underweight? Puppies should be lean, and you should be able to feel his ribs easily. If you can't see his backbone he's probably OK. Have you asked your vet? You can also do a search here for a chart to score body condition that's been linked several times.

As a long time raw feeder I have to ask why you're feeding rice. Dogs have no nutritional requirement for carbohydrates and really aren't doing your puppy any good. Spending on your approach to feeding raw, some low starch veggies may be OK in small quantities, but certainly not much and only if lightly steamed or pureed.

And by "dog biscuits" are you referring to what we here in the US call kibble or dry dog food? If so, again I have to wonder why you're not just feeding raw.

ETA: Although not much of his torso's showing in the photo you posted in your other thread, he doesn't look like he's starving to me. Maybe you could post some other pics that show his body condition.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my 14 week old pup at the vet yesterday and she weighed in at 16 lb, or a little over 7 kg. If anything I’d say she’s a little chunkier than I’d like. A thinner puppy puts less strain on growing joints/growth plates, and that’ll serve you well in his later life. If he’s energetic and active then he’s probably just fine. 

J.

• 3 months later...
On 3/23/2020 at 7:50 PM, NewCollieMum said:

Hi, My 16 week border collie Quincy looks quite underweight. He's fed alot and I use cheese as treats which is quite fattening but I can't seem to get him to put on weight. He's thin enough that you can clearly see all his ribs but not his backbone. I was wondering if this is normal for his age? Also what foods can I give him to help him put on weight? 

He's currently fed 300g of raw meat (including bones and liver), 300g of white rice and veg, 1 cup of dog biscuits and a small amount of cheese. Per day.

I had the same problem with mine, we had to feed him far more than recommended, and he would hoover it up in a flash. Now he is two, we are starting to reduce the rations as he is in good shape et doesn't empty the b owl anymore. I think they just burn it up at that age.