BC Boards

Jumping and biting on run

Hello All. I have an 8 month old border collie, who loves jumping. When we come home he jumps all over me, when guests come over, he jumps all over them, and cant seem to calm down. He barks and goes crazy running and jumping. When he goes out on his run if I enter "his area" he jumps and bites at me. He loves playing catch, but I am starting to hate it because I have to stand a distance out of where he can reach (which is a wide, long and overall big area). If I start to walk near him I get "attacked" at first I thought it was playful but now I am upset , he doesn't listen when I say no, and I have been hurt. I have three kids who aren't allowed out in the yard while he is out because of this, If they go into another area of the yard he barks and jumps towards them until he's choking himself. I had my 8 year old son out with me the other day to see how he did and try and play catch with him, he went after him biting and jumping on him. If I try and scoop his poop he barks and bites at me. As soon as I step off the patio, into the grass he perks up and runs towards me.  It's getting frustrating with warm weather on our door step I always imagined us all outside playing happily together. (the dog me and the kids). Another problem is walks in public, he barks at everyone and everything. I am almost scared to bring him anywhere because of this behavior, and I have tried treats to distract him on walks while other people are walking by, but he is to far gone usually to regain his attention. Inside he is fine, obviously if the kids are jumping or running he starts jumping on them, and if we go outside he barks at the window the entire time, and runs around trying to grab things to chew. One time I took our cat into the bathroom to give her a bath and he whined and barked outside the door the whole time. I open the door to find he  peed outside the door and chewed up a roll of paper towels and a tissue box , he has been trained to go outside for months. Any one have advice on how to train him not to jump and bite? Is this normal at 8 months, will he grow out of it? I am out of work indefinitely, as I work at a school, and the kids are out of school indefinitely, so I have time on my hands to hopefully train him. 

THANKS!

What have you done with him so far, any obedience classes? Does he know basic obedience commands? What commands does he know and honestly how reliable is he? What training style are you using, for example, do you give corrections with a leash? Are you using treats as rewards? Do you know what motivates him to listen (like food, play, praise or petting?) or what he responds to if you need tell him he's done something wrong? (Examples would be a Verbal "no", leash correction, or the game ending)

I want to give you advice but I also want to know where you're starting so I don't wear out my typing fingers unnecessarily :-)

Like Rigby, I need more information on what you have tried to do so far to change this. All of the things you are talking about are training issues. These things are only normal at 8 months in a pup who has not been trained properly. Please tell us what you have been doing that is not working, so we can advise you. He can definitely be trained not to jump or bite, and it is very important that this happen, because this behavior could land him (and you) in deep trouble, depending on who he jumped on or bit. I am glad to help if you tell us what kind of training you have been doing so we know what to tell you.

I can't diagnose anything as I'm just a casual dog owner, but my dog did the same thing and a lot of it was solved by simply giving her space on walks from stimuli, and with time she calmed. She still lunges when there are too many triggers (e.g. last night, thanks to waves crashing and spooking her, she lunged at a biker), but with time she learned to ignore them and I can take her on walks, runs, bike rides, etc. without her caring about others. 

Also, when she started running, barking, biting (I have gone through multiple pairs of shorts), I would immediately step in and start training her - down, sit, heel, between the legs, etc. Our trainer said to distract her and redirect her focus to something constructive. Some of that was also 'down and stay' so she would slowly calm. 

I am reading the book BAT 2 and really find it helpful. Worth a look. 

I have taken our 5 month border collie to training and she is doing well .8 o’clock at night seems to be her worse time.

I have been watching a series of training videos by Zak George you can find them on you tube or Instagram.

he is training a border collie right from day one you see the real dog not a fully trained dog performing.

i have found this very helpful.Still take her to training as well.

Good to read this forum and realize we are not alone beautiful highly energetic dogs but they need training 

I also try to keep her to a routine as much as I can