BC Boards

Jumping Up on Non-Human Things

Searched but couldn't find anything.

What strategies do you guys use to work on dogs putting their paws up on things? I took Aed to new vet for the first time since we moved and it all of a sudden my generally well trained dog had his paws up on every single counter, wall, and object imaginable. It's one thing to train a dog not to jump on people - don't give them attention, and if necessary knee them off, sure. And if I ask him to get down he will. But I'm having trouble finding a way to teach him to stay down in the first place when he's excited - especially because outside he can jump up on whatever log or rock he wants. It's also hard to create a situation in which I could give him a time out since he doesn't do it at my own house.

Really, the only way I know of is to take him to new places where he'll be tempted to do it, catch him as he just begins to jump up and give him whatever cue you want, and reinforce heavily whenever all feet are on the floor where they belong. Once he starts to catch on, really give him a jackpot if he starts to jump but catches himself in the act and doesn't follow through.

My dogs know dog friendly stores always have treats on the counter. I haven’t had issues with either rewarding the dogs for sitting or having the cashier if they want to come give them a treat for sitting. :lol: I’ll let you know if the terrier will ever stop jumping up on the counter but I think he just wants to make sure he is seen since treats are SUPER important. 

On 3/3/2020 at 12:44 PM, SS Cressa said:

My dogs know dog friendly stores always have treats on the counter. I haven’t had issues with either rewarding the dogs for sitting or having the cashier if they want to come give them a treat for sitting. :lol: I’ll let you know if the terrier will ever stop jumping up on the counter but I think he just wants to make sure he is seen since treats are SUPER important. 

That's a terrier for you!! :rolleyes:

---from one who has a dearly beloved terrier.