BC Boards

Odd behaviour

A couple of months ago our then 20 month old was resting quietly beside me while I was at my desk when he suddenly got up and went and stared at the door. I thought he wanted to go out but he just stood and stared at the open doorway and didn’t respond to me. After a few minutes he lay down and although made brief eye contact he seemed distant. He lay there staring for many more minutes. The situation didn’t repeat so I thought nothing more of it and thought perhaps he had just felt unwell for a moment. 

This morning he came in from a walk with my husband around the yard during which he had been his usual frisky self and peed and pooped as normal. Once inside his routine is to wait to have his harness off and then rush upstairs to look out the window. Instead he went and stared at the wall facing away from my husband and again didn’t respond to anything. After a few minutes he lay down, still looking away and just staring. After a while my husband was able to coax him out of it and he rushed upstairs as normal. 

Thoughts? Is he trying to tell us something or is this indicative of anything? 

I hope your dog doesn't have epilepsy, but these do sound like mild seizures, also called petit mal, absence, or partial focal seizures.  Our dog Brenden had severe epilepsy, and displayed pretty much every type of seizure.  Unfortunately there is no way to directly diagnose epilepsy in dogs; it is a process of elimination.

Thank you everyone. I did ask our vet. They think maybe very mild seizure and have said at this stage just to monitor the situation. And we will keep a close eye for sure. Our little guy definitely isn’t quite a normal border collie as previous posts have documented so maybe he has something going on. He is a sweetheart though and very much loved ❤️

• 8 months later...

Anyone had any experience of juvenile onset epilepsy? First fit at 9 weeks, a couple of episodes since.  Otherwise fit and well (although is deaf too...) Vets say the only way forwards is MRI scan but the cost is prohibitive under the current financial circumstances.  I've come across juvenile epilepsy studies and in quite a lot of cases it doesn't seem to be a good sign.