BC Boards

BC Rolling in the dirt

Secho

Dear community, I address to you with a concern I've got going in my mind. I've got an 8 month BC male pup and we go on regular walks to our local hill. There are some cows and some small animals around, he doesn't bother them much but my concern is that I find him often rolling on the dirt like from side to side. Just rubbing his back on dirt and sometimes cow shit. I haven't found any ticks or fleas on my dog and initially thought he might be rolling to scratch his back. Although I now think as I haven't found fleas or ticks it might be something that dogs do for some specific purpose?

Maybe someone here has the same problem or has seen his dog do this. Thanks for your help!

My dogs all do it. I think it's just like us scratching our backs against a door jamb or similar. We do it because it feels good!

Rolling in poo is another story, but suffice to say that the dogs think it makes them smell good. Ugh.

Here's my good old man Pip after a good roll in the red dirt.

J.

MVIMG_20190728_095625.jpg

On every walk, Buddy (Australian shepherd mix) finds at least one irresistible patch of grass to roll on.  On his back, on his sides, pushing into the grass with his muzzle, finishing by laying on his back, all four legs in the air with a silly grin waiting for a belly rub.  Levi (border collie) doesn't much enjoy this hobby but occasionally will do it.

Hahahaha!  I love the pics!  All my BC's have loved to roll!  Some on the carpet too (gotta make sure it's covered in dog hair!) but they all have loved to scratch their backs in the grass or in poo or on a dead earthworm-YUK! :lol:

To the OP:

And your problem is?

Seriously, nothing wrong with the behavior. Unless the dog routinely chooses to roll in wet, sloppy, fresh cow poo, as one of my previous dogs LOVED to do. She would come running back to me, so happy, wide, grinning mouth, but it looked like she had rolled in chocolate pudding,  but the smell was definitely NOT sweet. She did not enjoy the cold water baths at freezing temperatures. It did not deter her from repeating the offending behavior.

A border collie mix I had many years ago one time had a week-long affair with a dead skunk. It took me that long to find the creature and bury it deep enough she couldn't dig it up again. That was a lot of fun for Minka, who thought she had found a natural source of the best perfume in the world. Not quite as much fun for me and the other human beings in the house.

Be glad if it is only dirt.:D

4 hours ago, D'Elle said:

Be glad if it is only dirt.:D

I second that! :lol:

When I was a teenager we were on holiday in Spain and our dog rolled in human feces. Apparently the builders from the house that was being built next door used the adjacent orchard as a toilet - same place we walked the dog.

She was super happy with her new human perfume. I was so glad I didn't have to clean her up :P Mum obviously wasn't too happy.

• 2 weeks later...