BC Boards

a little housebreaking trouble...

Lance is doing pretty well and not going in the house most of the time, but sometimes he seems to refuse to go outside. I take him outside and walk him a lot so he has plenty of opportunity to go potty and usually he's real good and does his business. But like today for instance; I took him out and he wanted to play so after waiting about 15 minutes to make sure he didn't need to go I played with him for a while. Then we go inside, I sit down and start playing my guitar and within a couple minutes I notice the puppy is being really quiet. And the puppy is never quiet, lol. So I get up and low and behold he had pooped on the floor on the other side of the bed. I know he knows he's supposed to go outside because he seriously sneeks away to do it, and makes sure nobody can see him. So it makes it real hard to catch him in the act. Any suggestions?

How old is Lance? Are you crate training? If you are crate training I would take him out to potty and if he does not potty put him back in the crate. Wait a few minutes and try again. If you know he has not pottied when you were outside then you should not leave him unattended or do something where you are not paying attention.

You can also try leashing him to you so he can NEVER "sneak" away to potty in the house. They usually run and hide what they are doing because they get Yelled at when they do it in front of you. All they learn is that they must not do it in front of you NOT that they need to do it outside.

Does that make sense?

yeah, I try to kinda startle him and say no. so that makes sense. Thanks for the advice, I do keep him next to me on leash sometimes when I know he hasn't gone, or put him in his crate and that works well. Usually by the time I take him out again he goes. I guess that's what I need to work on. Making sure he isn't ever left unattended at all if he hasn't gone outside.

oh yeah, Lance will be 12 weeks old this thursday. And he's really well crate trained.

When we got our first puppy oh so many years ago, I thought we were doing something wrong because she wasn't "getting it." A friend who was also a breeder laughed and told me that the average dog is not ready to be housebroken until 12 weeks. Lo and behold, on the day of her 12 week birthday, she went to the door and asked to go out. Of course, Border Collies aren't average dogs, which is why Lance already knows to do it in secret! I agree with the advice you've already gotten. Use the crate or the leash when he hasn't gone. By the way, playing probably stimulated his bowels, so no matter how long he's been out, if you choose to play with him, stay out longer so he can go. All our dogs will go AFTER they have been running.

Kathy Robbins

Originally posted by Bordercentrics:

A friend who was also a breeder laughed and told me that the average dog is not ready to be housebroken until 12 weeks. Lo and behold, on the day of her 12 week birthday, she went to the door and asked to go out.

I think 3-4 months is the average age that most dogs start to "get it" but some will be quicker and others much slower. My shelties suddenly got the idea right around 4 months. Quinn had the concept down at 9 weeks but he still required a lot of watching and frequent trips out.

By frequent I mean when a young pup is awake, I take him out pretty much hourly. Or if the puppy has just eaten, just woke up, been playing, then out we go. It's a lot of work but the idea is to try to keep the puppy successful and not practicing "mistakes." That's why keeping the puppy always in your sight or else crated/contained is such a great tip.

Last spring I rescued an adult, intact (since neutered)male Aussie who wasn't housebroken or crate trained, and didn't know how to walk on a leash. Whenever I found myself becoming irritated that Boo pottied in the house I would remind myself that it was *my* failure, not his. He wasn't doing it out of spite, or laziness or any reason other than he just hadn't learned not to yet. Which meant if I momentarily failed to pay attention, giving him the opportunity to potty in the house, it was no one's fault but my own. Even after he had apparently caught on, he had a couple of accidents in the house---my fault. Neither he nor my BC Kit "tell" me when they have to go out. But they have learned that there is a schedule and I make sure their schedules and exercise are such that it is no longer an issue.