BC Boards

pissin' puppy

blackacre

Oh brrr Mark, you made me cold just thinking about standing out there. We've got snow and ice and cold yuck. Looking forward to the above-freezing-temp heat wave this weekend.

The DIY trials are a great idea but you gotta stop bringing in the cold and snow....please!

Keeping fingers crossed for feb 1-2.

-Robin

Sam, et al,

Thanks so much for the description of Mr. Macrae striding to the post in a studded leather bra. I am still ROTFLMAO... With way too much seriousness in my worklife, I REALLY needed to read these posts! Hey - do you know if there are any opening left for the Feb trial down your way?

Inci - hope the hubby is doing well and you are, too!

Hi Mark!

You guys are all wusses! You should have stayed for the fun day last Sunday at Dave's (after Saturday's NEBCA meeting). Talk about a brisk day! Dave was kind to us, though, he has a little fire circle next to the pasture and between runs we could toast our tootsies!

Sipping hot coffee and watching the wind blow and the temperatures plummet...

Deb

Iron Pheasant Farm

Hey Deb,

Full with a waiting list I am afraid!!!

It was pretty funny, apparently he and his accomplices, namely one Colin Campbell got it all on video tape...he even stuffed the cups with his gloves...too funny! I am still wondering why my "friends" knew how to locate the internet site where they bought it...Robin ummm I mean my friend can find anything on the internet!

Hi Sam, Yes, it IS amazing what can be found with a little serching on the internet. Robin, er - I mean your friend, is a talanted lady. Too bad about the waiting list - although I did expect that very answer.

Hey Margaret! You should have come to the meeting AND the fun day on Sunday. Now, about that windshield wiper problem - what problem? On Sunday I took my truck up Route 15, two dogs in the cab and with only one working wiper. I thought I had sufficiently defrosted / thawed the windshield and, when I turned them on I pretty efficiently ripped the blade right off the wiper. Sure did not keep me from heading north, although I did make a pitstop for a new set of blades on the way up. Sorry to hear you were ill! Hope you are up and about and feeling well now! Maybe we will cross paths on the trial field this year. I will go as far as 8 hours from here, so that reaches as far north as you AND as far south as Steve Clendenin's. (He's run a GREAT series for novices by the way.)

Deb

Iron Pheasant Farm

Welcome aboard, Andrea!

I think I figured out one time that I live slightly north of Andrea's location, but I have to tell you that I have spent some cold winter nights in Ontario, and they are the pits. There are about three trees between Toronto and the North Pole. Although we may be closer to that pole by a fraction of a degree of latitude, we have the Green and White mountains to deflect some of the wind.

Today we have actually broken the 20 degree (F) mark for the first time in recent memory. It may not get below zero F for the first time in 15 nights tonight. There's bright sun and no wind. I was fed sheep in my shirtsleeves at noontime.

Andrea,

yep you're right I've become a wuss about the cold. After spending several days with no heat in the house already this winter, I have a very low tolerance for being cold (something I've never had before). We're without heat again this weekend and I've not been able to find firewood on short notice (our fireplace is really only for decore). It's hard to have tolerance for the cold when your warm house is no warmer than 50F. Foolish me, I thought paying to have the furnace maintained would mean it would work.

Back on the topic,

I don't know why, but it seems there are a few dogs that will go when they take the notion to go, and don't seem to mind being confined with their own mess. I have one here. She won't ask to get out of the crate if she needs to go, she'll just go.

I am amazed at her ability to keep herself clean despite the conditions she creates in her kennel. This winter I have a spare crate for her so that I can rotate it, rather than having to wash out a crate at night when it's -10 F.

The only good housebreaking advice for crate-messers I've ever heard is to tether the puppy to you so that you can always catch the puppy in the act, interrupt (not correct) him, and get him outside right away. He goes outside, throw a party. The standard stuff. He should also be on a schedule of going out VERY frequently so that he does not get the chance to make mistakes.

I have never housebroken a puppy, but friends who did dumb things like buy puppies from pet stores (where they are basically taught that they have no choice but to go in the cage/crate and then lie in the mess) have had pretty good success with this method, and a Border Collie puppy should catch on quickly. I'd give up on the crate for housebreaking purposes and introduce it again later once the puppy is housebroken. The more he's allowed to go in the crate the more it's reinforced that the crate is an OK place to go and the less likely that he'll ever develop an inhibition about peeing there.

Of course, this requires that you are available to be tethered to a puppy and to take him out very very frequently for a period of time. If you can't do this, the only other method I've heard of that had any success is to give the puppy a larger area when he is confined (x-pen or large crate) and a substrate that it's OK to eliminate on (like papers or puppy pads, but NOT whatever he's been lying on in his crate) so that the pup can at least make the choice of not fouling himself. Once he develops a substrate preference (paper, pads) you can use those to transfer the act of elimination outdoors, by putting soiled papers or pads outside wherever the pup is allowed to go.

I agree with Melanie on the tied to your dog trick. BUT I just can't be so confined. I've had really good luck with just allowing them to be kennel/yard dogs until they're a few months older and then starting all over from scratch. I've had a couple of rat terriers that were absolutely HORRIBLE. Had one that would jump on the bed JUST to piss and then jump back down and go about her playful business. You can bet it didn't take long for her to get kicked outside! I waited until she was 8 or 10 months old and shazaam! She just got it and we had no more probs. Seems that some of them just take longer to get mentally with it. I don't know whether maturity is the right word or not. But hey, some kids are really slow to get it too. I have a friend that teaches first grade. She has some really funny stories about kids and potties and lack of potty training.

Boot him out til he's half grown and he'll come 'round right!

Lydia

Originally posted by dot me not:

I've had really good luck with just allowing them to be kennel/yard dogs until they're a few months older and then starting all over from scratch.

Boot him out til he's half grown and he'll come 'round right!

Lydia

Lydia, I think this is true. I've bought several trained dogs who were "kennel dogs" and had never seen the inside of the house. Never took more than a few days to completely house break them. Of course other people's houses were another story, I'd have to retrain them at every new place (they were all males). Call it UNDER generalization.

So, worst comes to worst, I am prepared to wait the little darling out.

A.