BC Boards

DNA testing for hip dysplasia

alligande

First I am not very knowledgable about DNA testing but I am always curious. I was reading the thread about the additional DNA testing and clicked through on the European link out of curiosity as the day before a friend had shown me a list of all the things her border collie is being tested for,  and for me there was one obvious difference testing for hip dysplasia was on her list?

Can you now reliable test for Hip dysplasia through DNA testing? I know that it can also be caused. 

There is a DNA panel for HD offered by Idexx that looks at multiple genes.  It was developed using Labrador retrievers and is only being recommended for that breed.  The results are not considered particularly accurate and at this time I don't know of anyone using them to make breeding decisions.  I've been tempted to send in samples on a few of my dogs (since I could get the test at minimal cost) just to see how far off they are from their PennHIP scores.

Thanks for the info, I don't know where the panel was from, there were 3 different markers identified and it was in English. I was curious if it was now possible to separate the genetic component from the environmental, but it doesn't sound like that is possible yet.