BC Boards

Overly friendly and getting obsessive

I think you're right that this in only a bit of a lapse in training, which means it is fixable. I see no reason the LAT game wouldn't work with this since you have had previous success with it. The "go to your mat" cue is also a very good one to use in this context.  the other thing I would do is put her on her mat before you open the door, and tell her to stay there. Then if she still goes into the behavior you don't want, she gets quickly quietly and gently removed from the area entirely and given a little time out in her crate.

20 hours ago, Flora & Molly said:

If I were to completely ignore Molly she will keep that focus on the person for a very very long time. When I have a friend over she will lie in her bed, but still have that focus for the entire visit. She may not look at the person the whole time, but will try to find windows of opportunity to come close to the person again. And every time a guests gives her attention when she is relaxed she goes back to flirting (although usually not as bad as at my friend's house that one time). 

Then completely ignore her as long as she is in her bed. I don't see a problem with her staring at the person as long as that's all she is doing, but perhaps someone else here will disagree with me and I'd be interested to hear if so.  If she creeps out of the bed, she goes into the crate. Ask your guests not to give her any attention whatsoever, not even to look at her, no matter what. And if you have a guest who won't comply with this request (I have had that problem) then the dog shouldn't be in the room with that person ever again until you have this trained nicely and under control.

IMPO, the first goal should be Molly ignoring people, or at the least being calm and not trying to find opportunities to flirt with them. Once that is solid, it can become a polite and calm greeting, which is of course the ultimate goal.

1 hour ago, D'Elle said:

I I don't see a problem with her staring at the person as long as that's all she is doing, but perhaps someone else here will disagree with me and I'd be interested to hear if so. 

Silly anecdote here: my beloved Tillie, whom I took off the streets and was a very sweet natured dog . . . Well, she was taught a Very Bad Habit by a roommate I lived with. He'd toss her bits of food from his plate. Nothing I said deterred him.

One day I'm eating dinner while watching tv in the living room. I notice Tillie is sitting about 4 ft away from me, staring intently at me while I eat. THEN, I notice that she is drooling in anticipation. I should have put her in another room but I wanted to finish my dinner. THEN, I notice that's she's swallowing when I swallow. I had to watch for a few minutes to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I was not.

Silly as it was, and annoying as it was, it still makes me smile.

Ruth & Gibbs

@urge to herd haha that story made me smile :lol: 

@D'ElleThank you! I hadn't thought of a time out, that will help tremendously! Weird how I have read that advice for different scenarios on here and not thought about it for my own situation. This will also help with friends who find it difficult to resist her (most of them unfortunately...). Honestly I give clear instructions, but somehow people have their own ideas about training dogs without ever having trained a dog :P  

3 minutes ago, Flora & Molly said:

Honestly I give clear instructions, but somehow people have their own ideas about training dogs without ever having trained a dog :P  

Yep, I have had that problem many times. I have a nice talk with the person, in which I explain that this is my dog and I am doing the training I need to do, and I also explain my methods so that they know I use positive reinforcement almost exclusively, and that I have very good reasons for doing this training. I ask them not to sabotage my training my ignoring my requests. I tell them that this is the same thing as if their child were allergic to something and asked me not to give that kid food that will make them sick, and I let them know that if they cannot see their way clear to respecting this they will not get to see my dog at all.

Usually people will agree when it is thoroughly explained to them and they understand that I am not depriving the dog or being mean or arbitrary. Those who don't....don't get to see my dog. Period. And, I have found for myself.....this is not necessarily true for everyone.....that those who cannot respect my choices regarding my dog don't end up coming to my house or becoming friends anyway. Not being willing to respect my rules in my house is a clear indicator that this person is not going to be respectful in other ways as well.