BC Boards

My collie no longer wants to go for walks

I have a border collie who is nearly 5 years old and up until recently has been very obedient and calm of nature. He has suddenly developed an aversion to walking...it starts off as usual and he is excited to go for a walk and then we get walking, suddenly with no obvious triggers he will bolt back to the car. This has been getting worse so i started walking him on a lead and now he just sits down and flat out refuses to move. He is obviously distressed when he does this as his tail goes between his legs and he's shaking. 

Anyone out there have any advice or experience of this behaviour I would be so grateful for help. I am sorely missing going for walks and worried about whats suddenly got into my dogs head.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone else walk your dog?  The tail between the legs is a sure sign of being frightened ( not the only reason that happens of course )  Have you taken your dog to the Vet to see if it is painful to walk? Do you walk the same route? 

is he behaving normally around your home and at other locations? If so, something happened that scared him. You might not ever know what frightened him, if that's what's causing his reluctance.

Can you walk him in other locations? Or maybe even go to the same area, park in a different spot, and take a different trail? 

If he's not behaving normally at home ~ not moving around as usual, then I'd suspect he's injured  and in pain. A vet visit is in order. I'd bet on being frightened, though.

Let us know what you discover.

Ruth & Gibbs