BC Boards

BC or Aussie?

aringer

My daughter and I just adopted a red & white BC from the BC rescue of So. CA. He's a beautiful dog, about 3 years old. Incredibly sweet with children, VERY mild mannered, and fixated beyond distraction (not even with food under his nose) if staring at a cat, lizzard or goats.

At the pet-shop, everyone (including customers)have an opinion. Someone said he might be an Aussie. Looking at pictures in books, I've seen him in both!

Any way to tell for sure?

We'll love him either way, but I'm wondering if he needs to be interacted with or cared for differently.

Thanks, Adi

Adi,

Lots of people will call anything that's not black and white an aussie. I don't know how many times I've been asked if my red-and-white border collie is an aussie. Likewise I'm often asked if my smooth-coated, prick-eared (large ears), white factored, heavily ticked border collie bitch is a cattle dog. People make assumptions based on their experience (or lack thereof) and not based on fact. Border collies come in many colors, red and white being fairly common. Unless you have something more than other people's opinions as a basis for changing your mind, you can probably safely assume you have a border collie. In any case, if the border collie rescue folks are satisfied it's a border collie, then that would be enough for me!

Enjoy him--he sounds like a great dog!

J.

Hi Adi

Here in Australia (where Aussie Shepherds don?t come from in spite of their name!), the easiest way to tell would be whether your pup has a tail. Aussies here are bob-tail or docked short. And in general terms they tend to be a bit more stocky and solid in build. Also I would have thought red-and-white was more likely to bea BC. And as Julie said, if the BC rescue thought he was a BC, that?s probably right. Either way, you?ll love him, as you said, and you?ll just be addressing his needs as they present themselves. He may not be a very food oriented dog, in which case you may need to find some other way of getting and keeping his concentration on you - but also give him a bit of time to adjust.

Enjoy him and learning about him.

------------------

Barb

We apodted our boy for BCR SoCal! Trust me if Bobbie and the rescue group say he is a Border, he is a Border. They work closely with the Aussie rescue group too. What was your dog's name before you adopted? Hope to see you at the rescue group's herding/agility fun day coming up this spring. The dogs have a great time!

[This message has been edited by Cheri McDonald (edited 01-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Cheri McDonald (edited 01-16-2003).]

Glad to see some other Southern Cal bc owners out there. I'm in Long Beach. I was working with Bobbie years ago before I found my dogs. There's also another rescuer here in Lakewood, but her name escapes me at the moment. Maybe someone can clarify for me if Aussies tails are naturally bobbed, or is it done surgically? I couldn't think of any dog that naturally has a bobbed tail, but my boyfriend has a stumpy tailed Australian cattle dog, and the owner he got him from as a new born pup said they were born that way. They're a mix of Queensland healers, blue merle, and dingo. The guy wouldn't have paid to have their tails bobbed, nor was he a breeder, so we have to assume that's the truth.

The stumpy tailed cattledog is a breed separate from the australian cattledog. The stumpy tailed cattledog has a naturally docked tail. Many people confuse the 2 breeds and think they are the same breed but they aren't. If you ever want to do some research on the breed, do a search for stumpy tailed cattledog. There are many physical characteristics that are different.