BC Boards

Problems?

Tucker is 10 1/2 months old now. He's still a wonderful puppy but I needs some ideas on how to stop his mouthing of my hand and arm. He's not bitting but he constantly wants to play with my hand/arm in his mouth. I discourage this and he is good for a few seconds or so and then starts again. I am sure some of it is from lack of exercise. The weather here in Michigan has been so crapy. Is this something that all BC's puppies go though? When he was younger he did bite hard but he does not do that now. He just mouths everything. Or is this more of and issue of him being brought home at six weeks old? 

Our boy liked to lick. I think I got cross with him in the end, I really do not want his slober on me. I did try to be the sort of person that didn't fluff themselves up menacingly and raise a voice (usually just a 'Uh uh! I don't like that! Go away!) at their dog before pouting and turning away, but I couldn't manage it. Obviously I'd pass him something he was allowed to mouth and I make sure he has plenty of things he is allowed to put his mouth on, he does seem to need to chew a lot. And of course life goes on, I don't hold grudges, thirty seconds of pouting is plenty long enough. 

:D This is a puppy thing, across the board, not just border collies.

Scolding really doesn't work on this. And you don't want to get into a contest of who is tougher. The thing to do is, as soon as he mouths you, say a gentle  "uh-oh" and then pick him up and pop him into his crate for 5 minutes. Then he comes out again. Repeat until he stops at the stage of "uh-oh". Watch his body language, and the minute he looks as though he is going to get mouthy, say "uh-oh". If he goes ahead, pop him into the crate again.

It is very important that you do all of this lightly. No heavy voice, no anger, no grabbing him to put into crate. It's just a simple case of action and consequences. He mouths you, he goes in crate. It is not to be seen as a punishment at all, just a natural consequence. If you approach it this way I can just about guarantee you that in a week or so he will no longer be mouthing you.

58 minutes ago, BorderYogal said:

Pick a 10 and half month old up? If I picked my 8 month old up there would be hell to pay. 

Ya…he doesn't much like to be picked up. If you can pick him up, you not going to hang on to him long.

6 hours ago, D'Elle said:

:D This is a puppy thing, across the board, not just border collies.

Scolding really doesn't work on this. And you don't want to get into a contest of who is tougher. The thing to do is, as soon as he mouths you, say a gentle  "uh-oh" and then pick him up and pop him into his crate for 5 minutes. Then he comes out again. Repeat until he stops at the stage of "uh-oh". Watch his body language, and the minute he looks as though he is going to get mouthy, say "uh-oh". If he goes ahead, pop him into the crate again.

It is very important that you do all of this lightly. No heavy voice, no anger, no grabbing him to put into crate. It's just a simple case of action and consequences. He mouths you, he goes in crate. It is not to be seen as a punishment at all, just a natural consequence. If you approach it this way I can just about guarantee you that in a week or so he will no longer be mouthing you.

I all ready know who's tougher. He is! I will try what you say D'Elle. Thank You

2 hours ago, BorderYogal said:

Pick a 10 and half month old up?...

By that age my pups know to get into their crates without objecting if I take their collars and quietly lead them to their crates for a time out as D'Elle describes.

I'm sure she simply didn't pay attention to the age of the pup, but continuing the times out for mouthiness is still sensible advice regardless. At that age, though, maybe a longer time out might be appropriate if 5 mins. isn't getting through to him.

9 hours ago, GentleLake said:

By that age my pups know to get into their crates without objecting if I take their collars and quietly lead them to their crates for a time out as D'Elle describes.

I'm sure she simply didn't pay attention to the age of the pup, but continuing the times out for mouthiness is still sensible advice regardless. At that age, though, maybe a longer time out might be appropriate if 5 mins. isn't getting through to him.

Yes he does know and loves his crate. All I have to do is walk over to it and say "kennel" and he shoots in. If I stand there for a minute he will roll over very excitedly thinking he might get a cookie for it. Sometimes he does get a cookie sometimes not. I am working on what D'Elle said and I believe it will work on Tucker.