BC Boards

Blood work results

ShellyF

Our dog was neutered yesterday and had bloodwork done in advance. I had mentioned to vet that our 10 month BC wasn’t as active as everyone said collies would be. I think we exercise him well and have taught him to settle well but I am surprised at how just a little fetch in the house seems to tire him out as much as a few runs across a ball field and it seems to take him ages to stop panting and settle after such exercises. 

The vet said yesterday that all was well and the bloodwork was fine and our pup also passed his physical so I thought nothing of it but on reading the bloodwork results today I see that globulin is low (right on the bottom line of low/normal) as is his total protein and ALP. I have no idea what this means and will be speaking to the vet about it in a few days. 

Does anyone have suggestions for specific questions I should ask? Would you be concerned if this was your dog’s results?

Those results being in low normal range would not concern me as an isolated incidence. All individuals have different 'normals', hence the bell curve range.  But perhaps talk to your vet about rechecking his labs in a few weeks to make sure things are on track, especially if you have other concerns about his stamina. With exercise intolerance in such a young dog I'd also want to rule out any indication of heart disease. Talk to your vet, see what they suggest. Any abnormal findings on physical exams or auscultation? Was ECG normal during surgery? If your gut feeling is that he tires abnormally fast and takes a long time to recover some further investigating might be warranted. 

ya - they think his heart and everything is all good. He did extremely well in neuter surgery. 

There are two camps. One say that border collies have tons of energy and the others say that we have just trained him to settle well. Our last dog was also exercised and entertained well and would happily rest in between but she didn’t have the issue of walking around panting to calm down after regular exercise. The vet says it’s likely age related (ten months) although he’s always been like this. 

I guess if the vet isn’t worried I shouldn’t be so i’ll Ask the questions you suggest and then try and forget it haha! 

I would investigate for sure - BUT be aware that panting can also be excitement/stress related, and in that case it's not related to physical stamina.  It's related to an adrenaline high and sometimes that does take longer to fade.

Still throgouhly investigate potential physical causes first, though.

2 hours ago, CptJack said:

I would investigate for sure - BUT be aware that panting can also be excitement/stress related, and in that case it's not related to physical stamina.  It's related to an adrenaline high and sometimes that does take longer to fade.

Still throgouhly investigate potential physical causes first, though.

This is very reassuring. We give him plenty of mental stimulation for sure and I absolutely relate to the adrenaline comment. That’s him in a nutshell but I didn’t know the panting was connected. So yes i’ll double check again with vet but thanks for this very helpful comment :)