BC Boards

4 month old puppy split personalities

Hi I have a 4 month old pup that listens to me and my wife half of the time. And the other half she is just a demon. One day she is amazing. Recall is great. Likes to learn etc. Then the next day she is the devil! She will not recall or even acknowledge us when in a walk. She just barks at us aggressively and runs off. I've had nightmare walks where she runs in the road etc and nips my son. I stay calm even tho I'm annoyed trying not to make the situation worse... Then all of a sudden the next day she's perfect again. Great walks great trainin etc... Am I doing something? Any tips/advise welcome 

Just as a side note we also take her to puppy classes. Have done since 8 weeks 

Screenshot_20190128_164049_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

I don't have any helpful advice really other than to say I remember having excellent days and horrific days at about that age, he's ten months now and the days have certainly levelled out. I remember one day being on top of the world thinking I must have done everything right and been really lucky to get such a clever perfect dog, and the next thinking I'd made a big mistake thinking I could cope with a border collie.

Beautiful pup! And lovely view.

She's beautiful!

Do keep in mind that she's just a baby. My pup is nearing 4 months, and we also have lots of ups and downs. At this age, they are like tiny human toddlers, who can be blissful one moment (or one day) and then terrors the next. I think it's completely normal for them to act out - however, you can (and should) use these moments of acting out as teaching opportunities. You need to make sure that she understands when something she does is unacceptable, and also make sure that she understands when something she does is great . How do you respond to her when she barks aggressively and runs off? Or when she nips at your son? Do you stop and go home straight away, signaling that all the fun of the walk stops as soon as she begins to act out? This would probably be useful.

At the end of the day I think it is normal for such a small puppy to have good days and bad days, but it's also very important that you are constantly encouraging the good behavior and very consistently and gently correcting the bad behavior. She should get the hang of it as she grows older as long as you're patient and consistent :) 

First, a puppy of that age should never, ever be let off leash. Doing so is very dangerous and can result in a tragedy for which you won't forgive yourself. Why on earth are you letting her off leash to run into the road? Don't take that chance. Also be aware that every single time that you call her and she is not on leash and she runs off, you are actually training her  that she doesn't need to come to you if she doesn't want to, and therefore you will never get a reliable recall. By allowing this you are consistently un-doing your own training. Keep her on a long lead and when she doesn't come, go and get her and pick her up and take her back to where you were when you called her.

Second, your puppy is acting normal for her age. Don't worry about the setbacks or days she is not responsive to cues. She will learn if you simply keep all of your training kind but firm and 100% consistent. Right now you are not being consistent, because you are unable to reinforce the recall.

Welcome! Your puppy is normal and is going to go from an unpredictable "middle-schooler" now through all of adolescence before, at a year of age or older, she begins to be a young adult. As everyone has said, be consistent, keep her on leash or on a long line, and expect her to be a youngster and therefore inconsistent herself. It's up to you to set the parameters and be consistent and pro-active. 

Best wishes!